Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Naval Tactics: Captains of the Spanish Main (by Chimera Software)

Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Well I've not seen any gameplay but the description certainly sounds like this is pretty in depth. Anybody know anything more about this one? Is it boardgame style or actually from a boardgame? Can you play it if you know next to nothing about naval warfare or do you need to have been in the sea cadets to play this!?

Quite fancy it though, been a while since I've had a new async multiplayer (think Xcom was the last I played properly).
Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster

Well ... I had high hopes ... but ...

1. No different AI Level!

2. No skirmish mode and only 8 Scenarios (5 custom, 3 historical).

3. No real tutorial.

4. No campaign.

So ... I would not buy it again.

Last edited by Mythbuster; 05-14-2014 at 04:57 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

This is almost solely for players looking for a fair (no progression elements that affect competitive balance, and no IAP) asynchronous online competitive tactical experience.

But for those among you, it is hard to do better. All the sense of balance, strategy, player skill and tactical weight that went into making Starbase Orion the most sophisticated strategy experience for iOS (online as well as in solo play), Rocco has instead here invested into producing a superbly tuned turn-based tactical naval playing field. A level playing field, at that, much like Carcassonne and Playdek board game products, where all players start every game with the exact same resources. (Personally, I prefer a little bit of both. Some tactical async games where I can also work towards long-term goals and development, sadly a rarity among async titles, and some based around single matches of pure skill.)

The game might appear deceiptively simple; each unit does not have a wealth of skills and special actions to choose between on each turn. But in between considerations of wind direction and movement speed, firing angles, what type of ammuniation to deploy and what parts of enemy ships to aim to disrupt or destroy, misdirection and deception, how your different ships work in tandem, and what vessels to actually bring into combat, there is a deep tactical engine beneath these waves.

If you are wondering whether or not Chimera/Rocco (yep, primarily a one-man show) is a developer to put your trust in, and if Naval Tactics might grow down the line (for the game is very basic outside of combat, indeed), Pocket Tactics has choice words for you.

For those of you who want a bit (or a lot) of single play and progression to your online turn-based strategy, the equally excellent Ravenmark: Mercenaries is still around, and manages to almost perfectly tread the line between competitive balance and sense of progression. Plus one of the most sophisticated TBS engines around, and a fully fleshed out world. (And for further solo TBS play, the original Ravenmark Saga is probably the best single player skirmish tactics game around.)

You should probably own all of them

Last edited by Ayjona; 05-14-2014 at 05:33 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post

Custom (sandbox) mission...

Maybe 2 star?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.Voyager View Post
Custom (sandbox) mission...

Maybe 2 star?
'Custom' means: You can pick up different ships at the (same) starting position ... so custom mode is a bad joke!

Still only 1 star rating from me.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:

1. No different AI Level!

3. No real tutorial.

4. No campaign.

5. 80% of the manuel are only visible if the language is english ... if you turn the game into german, most parts are simply not even there!

Sorry, and they are going to raise the price even? They must joking!

I love Orion ... and that was the reason why I purchased this ... but ... never again ...
Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

and as the title implies, i guess it's all ship battles with no land based game play like docking at ports, visiting the tavern, recruiting new crew, buying/selling supplies, repair/new ships at the shipwright, quests. none of that, right? not really a pirate game is it?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
5. 80% of the manuel are only visible if the language is english ... if you turn the game into german, most parts are simply not even there!
Thanks! This is my first attempt at localization, so it is admittedly a bit rocky in that regard. Will definitely improve language coverage an update.

Last edited by KittyMac; 05-15-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack the Knife View Post
and as the title implies, i guess it's all ship battles with no land based game play like docking at ports, visiting the tavern, recruiting new crew, buying/selling supplies, repair/new ships at the shipwright, quests. none of that, right? not really a pirate game is it?
No. Naval Tactics is a straight-up tactical board game which focuses on individual naval actions. It is more akin to Wooden Ship and Iron Men or Sails of Glory than it is to Sid Meier's Pirates.

It is possible that land tactics will be incorporated in future missions (such as a mission to capture a fort / raid a port, which could require safely landing troops to accomplish). But it is not part of the game currently.

Last edited by KittyMac; 05-14-2014 at 11:18 AM..