★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

No Longer Charging?

05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
No Longer Charging?

Hey guys, my 5th gen Touch recently stopped charging, I thought it was the cable, so I got a new one, same thing. It only charges if I hold the cable in a certain position. My question is this, it's out of warranty (bought over a year ago) and the nearest Apple Store is about 2-3 hours away from here... So is it worth all the trouble of taking it to an Apple Store and seeing if they can fix it, or should I just start saving up for a new one?

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
05-14-2014, 04:00 PM
It's probably your cord and not the actual ipod.

Games I'm Playing: Doom Classic, Red Conquest!, Battle for Wesnoth, Land Air Sea Warfare (my favorite rts, buy it today!)

05-14-2014, 04:04 PM
I had the exact same problem, but after buying a new cable everything works fine again

Game Center: sink_or_swim
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, thing is, I bought a new cable, same thing...

Quote:
Ninny speaks the truth.
05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Is there any chance that something could have gotten in the socket where the cable goes, like dirt or fluff? Worth a try.
05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Hey guys, my 5th gen Touch recently stopped charging, I thought it was the cable, so I got a new one, same thing. It only charges if I hold the cable in a certain position. My question is this, it's out of warranty (bought over a year ago) and the nearest Apple Store is about 2-3 hours away from here... So is it worth all the trouble of taking it to an Apple Store and seeing if they can fix it, or should I just start saving up for a new one?
Get a bottle of air and blow out the charging port. You can get a light and look into the port and generally see debris like pocket lint.

Usually works when the cable only charges at a certain angle. Hate to have you drive to an apple store for a quick fix!
05-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
Get a bottle of air and blow out the charging port. You can get a light and look into the port and generally see debris like pocket lint.

Usually works when the cable only charges at a certain angle. Hate to have you drive to an apple store for a quick fix!
Lint and debris sounds so much better than my "dirt or fluff"
😃
05-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to promo87
Purchase a new data cable rather than looking for the fixing it up.

Quote:
Well, What I am going to suggest you is try buying a new cable I don't think it is going to cost you too much I would say rather than searching for the data cable online try buying a new one.

Technical Consultant
Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Gamer and Cloudpuff, that did it! Cleaned out the charging port with a toothpick, there was a ton of lint. Thanks guys!

Quote:
Ninny speaks the truth.
05-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Gamer and Cloudpuff, that did it! Cleaned out the charging port with a toothpick, there was a ton of lint. Thanks guys!
Glad you got it working again.