Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Beat Detective - Test Your Inner Metronome

My new game Beat Detective was released today. The app tests your sense of tempo against your music collection.

iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beat-detective-test-your-inner/id703155786?ls=1&mt=8
Price:$0.99 till the end of the month. $1.99 after that. There are no in-app purchases.

The basic idea is - Pick a song from your iPhone’s music library. Listen to a snippet of the song and then tap out the tempo from memory. Finally compare it to the correct answer.

Other features include
• View and compare answers from your fellow Beat Detectives
• Participate in daily competitions
• Compete for the highest score in Endless mode

Visit http://beatdetective.net for more info. And follow us on twitter @beat_detective.

Screenshots

Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I got a promo and I guises the only who will leave an impression. I really didn't like this game. Maybe it's just not for me. I am a music maniac and snob and I still didn't really like it. Basically you tap to a song that is in your library but you cannot hear the song. You have to tap to the song by memory. That is probably the worst part about this game is that you are always guessing. You can't hear a thing. I don't know when it starts or how it scores. Some songs have long intro that barely has any music. Am I supposed to remember that? I think the game would be better if there was a mode that ever 25 seconds of a song you could listen to 5 seconds of the song itself so you can get back on track.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:08 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

@coolpepper43 - I'm sorry you didn't like it. Based on what you've written I think maybe the idea behind the game has not been made clear (and that is my fault as the developer).

First of all, you have to tap at the tempo of the song. You are not trying to tap out individual notes/drumbeats. Most songs (especially pop) have a fixed tempo. For example, Get Lucky by Daft Punk is played at a tempo of 116 beats per minute. So if you were to select that song in the game, the objective would be to try and tap steadily at that rate without listening.

Also there is an 'easy mode' switch on the main screen that will let you listen to a snippet of the song, before telling you to start tapping.

Anyways, my aim for this was to make something that players could use to develop their internal sense of tempo. This is not trying to be a tap-tap-revenge type of game where you are performing some action _while_ listening to music.

Thanks for your feedback. I had hoped that the tutorial in the game would make the concept clearer, but I will try working on it for the next update.

Of course if the idea was clear to you and you still didn't like it then there is not much I can do .