★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: MeYuMe
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 5.7 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Link Up is a simple, yet challenging game, where the objective of the game is to link four or more pieces on a board in a horizontal, vertical or diagonal direction. Once linked, these linked pieces are then removed from the board.

The game is turn based and on each turn the player
moves a piece to try and link-up with existing pieces. More pieces are added to the board after each turn and the game is over when the player can no longer link-up pieces.

FEATURES:

Multiple themes including Underwater, Jungle and Dungeon. Can you unlock the other themes?

Each theme has its own set of unique graphics and sounds.

Special pieces to help you stay in the game as long as possible.

Timed pieces to fluster and panic - once the timer reaches zero the piece becomes locked and can not be moved.

Locked pieces to obstruct and frustrate.

Five difficulty levels ranging from Beginner to Xtreme.

Two methods of game control; drag and drop, touch and go.

Hints to help you see the wood from the trees.

Play along to your own music.

Hall of Fame.

Persistent game state, quit and come back at any time.

Multiple game saves - try out different strategies.

EARLY REVIEWS:

"I thought Bejeweled had the market cornered on puzzle-solving games. I was wrong. MyM Link Up is actually better than Bejeweled." - appletell.com

"On the whole Mym Link Up is easy to play and pretty addicting. If you like puzzle games and are looking to pass the time with something fairly mindless but non-the-less entertaining then Mym Link Up is a good fit for you." - appcraver.com

TIPS:

We have added some videos (Tip Station) which will help you get maximum score and enjoyment from the game:

http://uk.youtube.com/user/meyumevideo

meyumedev's comments:
Link Up is a simple, yet challenging game, where the objective of the game is to link four or more pieces on a board in a horizontal, vertical or diagonal direction. Once linked, these linked pieces are then removed from the board.

The game is turn based and on each turn the player moves a piece to try and link-up with existing pieces. More pieces are added to the board after each turn and the game is over when the player can no longer link-up pieces.

FEATURES
  • Multiple themes including Underwater, Jungle and Dungeon. Can you unlock the other themes?
  • Each theme has its own set of unique graphics and sounds.
  • Special pieces to help you stay in the game as long as possible.
  • Timed pieces to fluster and panic - once the timer reaches zero the piece becomes locked and can not be moved.
  • Locked pieces to obstruct and frustrate.
  • Five difficulty levels ranging from Beginner to Xtreme.
  • Two methods of game control; drag and drop, touch and go.
  • Hints to help you see the wood from the trees.
  • Play along to your own music.
  • Hall of Fame.
  • Persistent game state, quit and come back at any time.
  • Multiple game saves - try out different strategies.

TIPS

We have added some videos (Tip Station) which will help you get maximum score and enjoyment from the game:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up
08-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Impressions

This is quite a nice, polished application. Graphics are gorgeous. The game is quite a nice puzzler - and although pick up and play - it will take you a while to get through levels. I have been playing about 45 minutes and am on level 3 (actually had to restart - my fault) - but have a long way to go before having problems on the current screen.

Game play basically has you matching 4 objects to remove them. If you don't make a match - more random pieces are added to the playing surface. You move your pieces around the board, and the new pieces that are going to be added show up as a grey image. You have a choice to put a piece there, but generally it is better to use that to start building sets.

There are lots of interesting twists to this genre - which really helps to hold interest - Wild card pieces to match anything, pieces that will lock in place after a certain number of moves, etc.

(I think that matching 4 wild card pieces should give you something special - a bomb that will clear out a 4x4 area maybe?)

Matching more than 4 gives you combo 2x, 3x points, etc - so planning becomes very important.

Overall having a lot of fun with this, and would encourage other puzzler types to give this a try.

Would like to know how to open up other areas? Perhaps one has tp finish a board, and then others are available? I don't know - have not got that far yet, still have a lot of play at the first area, but would be nice to have all the graphical areas available to choose a favorite, or switch things around to just have a diffferent environment.

Speaking of environments - the game starts in the water area and there are water bubbles sounds, and other water sounds that play - very nice touches.

Overall super polish, lots of thought that went into this from my opinion. Could maybe use some tweaks? But - have not played far enough to really tell. I would urge others that like puzzlers to give this a try.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

Last edited by pluto6; 08-22-2009 at 03:51 PM.

08-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Would like to know how to open up other areas? Perhaps one has tp finish a board, and then others are available? I don't know - have not got that far yet, still have a lot of play at the first area, but would be nice to have all the graphical areas available to choose a favorite, or switch things around to just have a diffferent environment.
Paul, thanks for the review! To answer your question, the other areas open up the more you progress through the game - it does start to get harder though and then the planning side of things really starts to kick in!

We are in the process of completely re-vamping the game with different themes and a storyline that will chart your progress. Combined with the backstory will be a map which will allow you to replay unlocked parts of the game.

Cheers
Scott
08-22-2009, 03:14 PM
if you love board type games, strategy type games, or match 3 type games, you'll like this trust me. it has alittle bit of all of those in it.
08-22-2009, 03:15 PM
and nice themes too
08-22-2009, 03:52 PM
i got the christmas version (i guess it was like a lite version with christmas theme) a while ago has anything changed since then? i think its a good game the best of this type.
08-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyumedev View Post
Paul, thanks for the review! To answer your question, the other areas open up the more you progress through the game - it does start to get harder though and then the planning side of things really starts to kick in!

We are in the process of completely re-vamping the game with different themes and a storyline that will chart your progress. Combined with the backstory will be a map which will allow you to replay unlocked parts of the game.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks Scott -

I think that a story mode would be good to tie things together with the different theme? How do you open up new areas? With a certain score in an area? A cumulative score? Time played? I think that cumulative score would be best - for me, unable to get to locked content is always a major turn off. For a puzzler - not everyone is going to have the skills necessary to get really good for high scores, and to be unable to see the other areas somehow does not seem fair - also I think that a good selling point of your game is that there are different scenes - they don't mean much if you have to work your heinie off to get to them - a lot of people won't hold their interest long enough... Something to consider anyways...

08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbeaver View Post
i got the christmas version (i guess it was like a lite version with christmas theme) a while ago has anything changed since then? i think its a good game the best of this type.
Mostly bug fixes and some graphical tweaks - also a help mode.

All paid versions of Link Up have the Christmas theme which is activated on the 1st Dec every year - not long now!
08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Thanks Scott -

I think that a story mode would be good to tie things together with the different theme? How do you open up new areas? With a certain score in an area? A cumulative score? Time played? I think that cumulative score would be best - for me, unable to get to locked content is always a major turn off. For a puzzler - not everyone is going to have the skills necessary to get really good for high scores, and to be unable to see the other areas somehow does not seem fair - also I think that a good selling point of your game is that there are different scenes - they don't mean much if you have to work your heinie off to get to them - a lot of people won't hold their interest long enough... Something to consider anyways...
Feedback is great and appreciated - it really helps us to refine the gameplay and improve the game. We hadn't considered a cumulative score across games but I think there is something we could run with there - I'll certainly pass it back to the designer.

With the next version we're combining a quest with the puzzle elements of the game, for example certain moves or combination of moves (think combos + special pieces) would result in part of the quest being unlocked and then progress to the next part of the story. One good thing about Link Up is you can take your time between moves - time which allows you to look around the board, check out the grey pieces, observe the timed pieces and then plan your next move accordingly. The Tip Video showing the combo strategy is from an actual game - there were no staged pieces! Some of our developers can line stuff up on the board to almost bursting and then exercise 12-13 combos and completely clear it down, racking up large amounts of points.

We always checking out the game difficulty and are looking to add more special pieces in the next version that would mean e.g. only having to match 2 for a certain amount of time.
08-22-2009, 05:34 PM
So - I played on easy

Game auto levelled me to medium - at least it told me it did. Got to level 10, and 1768 points - I have no idea if that is any good or not.

The 5 piece set up gets sort of frustrating, as there is little way that you can really plan a lot of moves in advance due to generally having at least 2 moves to be able to execute a move to clear a 5 space one. Perhaps a way to just leave it on 4 in a row? I was keeping it down, but it was still challenging.

Opened up 2 new backgrounds and piece themes. I guess I'll try a harder level at the beginning to maybe see the pyramid...

Very challenging, but still fun.