Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Mr. Jack Pocket - Board game conversion

Here's a nice conversion of a little 2 player board game where Sherlock Holmes, Watson, and their dog Toby try to uncover which of 9 suspects is Jack the Ripper.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

$5.99, let me think about it.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_u View Post
$5.99, let me think about it.
If you have to think about 6 dollars, it's too much. If you're a board game fan, and like quality conversions, it's a no-brainer.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Curious but not too clear on gameplay even after watching a Dice Tower review.

As the investigator one wanders around the perimeter of the board peering down streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the ripper?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:44 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Curious but not too clear on gameplay even after watching a Dice Tower review.

As the investigator one wanders around the perimeter of the board peering down streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the ripper?
That's basically correct. You have three investigators around the perimeter of the board. They work on a "line of sight" basis. You're basically trying to work out a way to "see" only one possible suspect by eliminating all of the innocent suspects. If you're playing as Jack, you're trying to stay hidden for a particular number of turns. Although I was quite familiar with the Mr. Jack series of board games (it's actually a game system which has spawned I believe 4 unique games, including this one), I had never played any of them before getting this. The tutorial was fine in getting me up and playing (and losing) quite quickly. I finally won a game as the investigators against the easy AI.

I would classify it as a "puzzle" type of deduction board game. I've enjoyed it so far. And, LG, since I know how you roll, I'll preempt your standard question and say that, yes, there is relatively detailed stat keeping!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
And, LG, since I know how you roll, I'll preempt your standard question and say that, yes, there is relatively detailed stat keeping!
You know me too well and while the gameplay itself hasn't gripped ,e from what I've seen, THAT aspect (saw the screenshots of the stat screen in the Android version) does really intrigue me.

While probably a good game, the full game with each character having their own unique powers, seems more compelling to me.

What is all this about the additional character of James Maybrick in the iPad version? Just an additional potential suspect or a new tweak on gameplay?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
You know me too well and while the gameplay itself hasn't gripped ,e from what I've seen, THAT aspect (saw the screenshots of the stat screen in the Android version) does really intrigue me.

While probably a good game, the full game with each character having their own unique powers, seems more compelling to me.

What is all this about the additional character of James Maybrick in the iPad version? Just an additional potential suspect or a new tweak on gameplay?
Kind of both. He's a new suspect you can choose to add or not. He does add a bit of a tweak in that he is located on an "L" shaped street. He's the only one with that street alignment. I'm not sure how it impacts game play because I haven't used him yet.

I agree that the main game seems a bit more compelling with the variable powers, etc., but as this was designed as a quick 2-player game in the physical version, I can understand why they'd start with this as the first iOS conversion. I'm sure it was much easier to program the AI for this as opposed to the other games in the series.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Hey Gang,

A basic game element is still confusing me. If I'm playing as Jack and want to keep as many suspects on the board as possible, do I need to keep the true Jack out of sight OR do I want him to be in sight with other suspects in line with him?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Sorry for the double post but a guy on the BGG iOS Board Games thread stated this simple rule of thumb, that until he put it so succinctly, I was having trouble grasping:

* If you are told that the detectives CAN'T see Jack, then all the suspects that you CAN see are obviously eliminated.
* If you are told that the detectives CAN see Jack, then all the suspects that you CAN'T see are obviously eliminated.

He then went onto state, that if playing as Jack your most ideal situation is to have it so by the end of the turn none of the suspects are in the detectives line of site, but that then, almost counter-intuitively to me at least, the next best situation is the detectives see EVERYONE at the end of the turn since in such a case it would still result in no suspects being eliminated (which, clearly as Jack, you need to keep as many suspects on the board as long as possible to hide in the crowd effectively).

Question for pros, beyond just remembering the bizarre turn pattern, are there any clear indications on a given round if you'll be getting 1 or 2 turns that round?

Last edited by LordGek; 05-29-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

If you want a "full" experience with similar gameplay, there is always Inkognito for iPad or Scotland Yard for iOS Universal.