Upcoming games threads title suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Tastyfish, May 20, 2014.

1. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Is it possible to have the expected date (could be as specific as May 27, 2014 or as vague as Q4 2014) in the titles for upcoming games?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I like it, but the problem is these dates shift SO MUCH that it'd be really hard to keep up. Additionally, it's super rare for games to have hard release dates for any upcoming games that are less than a week or two out. I think the most granularity we could possibly have is maybe some kind of grading system where we add stuff to the title that's somehow indicative of the development stage of the game?

i.e.

-Concept
    -In beta
    -Pre-release
    -Soft launching very soon
    -Coming next week
    -etc.
    ?

Even that would be super hard to do with any regularity. Looking at the upcoming games forum, as someone who feels pretty well connected with this whole scene, I couldn't peg the release date (or even release QUARTER) of most of the hot games people love talking about.

I wish there was a better solution.

3. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    How about having devs add [release <1 month] in title.

I guess I'm just looking for a fast way to quickly find threads to read about really soon to be released games.

4. Probably would be alot of work, but would be cool to have a new release tag for games up to one month old as you say.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Again there's just really not a good way to keep track of this as the iOS space isn't anything like the retail world where games have hard release dates with a whole supply chain in motion where that date CANNOT change. In the downloadable world, people can decide to release their games whenever. Heck, that Hellgate (or whatever it was called) game was about two days away from "release" when they pushed it back a few months.

6. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    It really is nearly impossible to nail down release dates, and even quarters.

I did just want to say that I do really like your idea of having a development state Eli, as it could separate concept stage, from pre-production, production, alpha, beta, etc.

Although I guess there are a few downsides to this as well. The first as you mentioned things can change pretty rapidly and you could be in late stage beta but then fall back into full production because mechanics just weren't working, etc.

Secondly I believe you can only edit thread titles for the first hour? So would this not mean that instead of constantly posting replies on the same thread (keeping the forum sane) you would then have multiple threads for a game but with different status titles? Unless you were meaning a custom forum mod that allows this state to be changed/managed.

7. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Yeah, I thought the same..