★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Star Catch: Episode 2 Anger Management + Lite

08-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Star Catch: Episode 2 Anger Management + Lite

I have finished my second update for Star Catch that just came out last Monday, August 17th. I have sent the update to Apple and the waiting begins again.

Star Catch is a line drawing game that requires you to match as many similarly colored stars as you can by drawing a line around them. The more stars you circle the more points and bonus points you can get. There are four main colored stars; Blue, Red, Green and Purple. Each star is worth the same points but they are worth different amounts depending on the mood they are in.

For example, these stars will express emotions like Happiness (their normal mode), Awe (when you circle a lot of stars it impresses them), Shock and Angry. Each of these emotional states comes with different point values. If you circle a Happy star you get 10 points for example. Here is how it breaks down.

Happy = 10 Points
Awe = 20 Points
Shock = 10 Points
Mad = 5 Points
Steaming Mad = 1 Point

Stars will get mad if you circle just one of them or circle them with a different colored star. This adds to the challenge as more stars are introduced and they move around making it more difficult to circle greater numbers of stars without making any of them mad. As you may have noticed if you get them in Awe and then circle stars you will get the most points.

You also get bonus points for the number of stars you circle.

3 stars Normal Points (The emotion points) x 3
4 stars x 4
5 stars x 5

and so on.

Episode 2: Anger Management adds another layer of challenge by trying to force you to not circle different colored stars. When you circle different stars together too many times one of the stars will implode and become a black hole sucking in stars in the area. You are losing valuable points for that level and each level increases in difficulty so you want to avoid these black holes. If you really like them you can make them come as many times as you want.

Only one black hole can exist on the board at a time. The Steaming Mad emotion is a new one to Episode 2: Anger Management. This is the state that stars will go into right before they implode on themselves and become a black hole.

With the Episode 2 update I am including OpenFeint, the Online scoring, achievement and challenge system that will allow you to post your scores and achievements for the world to see. OpenFeint allows you to find Friends and see what they are playing. There will also be challenges introduced into the game in a later update. If you choose to not use OpenFeint you will still be able to save up to 10 scores locally for bragging rights.

I have been working all day today on my third update and should have it ready to submit the day this one gets approved (I can only hope it will get approved.)

Wish me luck and let me know what you think. I am open to suggestions and impressions.

Craig Hinrichs

08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
that looks really cute...I like the stars having the different expressions on their faces and it looks like it will make the scoring interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

08-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
that looks really cute...I like the stars having the different expressions on their faces and it looks like it will make the scoring interesting
Edit: I was going to make a video but my camera just does not cut it. I will get a video soon and post it.

Craig

Last edited by craighinrichs; 08-22-2009 at 11:59 PM.
09-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Star Catch: Episode 2 Anger Management (Is Out)

Star Catch Episode 2: Anger Management is now out! I just came out so it may be a bit before it hits all of the servers.

Craig Hinrichs

09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Craig- I be picking it up...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Not showing yet on Uk store but does download/update through re-purchase!

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
The gap between Episode 1 and the better selling, but very similar "Butterfly Catch" isnt that big. In fact, "Star Catch" has better line drawing/catching, so its possible that Star Catch could overtake Butterfly Catch in overall quality. BC is probably always going to be a little cuter, but perhaps you can overtake them in other ways.

A global leaderboard (BC has already) will help. You also could use some options/play modes too. In Episode 1, the difficulty curve was a little slow, so a "hard" mode with a separate high score table to jump to higher difficulties would be nice. I got to level 18 on my first try...took too long. Wife only got to 9, so not suggesting you do away with the standard difficulty, just make a harder one.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 09-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
The gap between Episode 1 and the better selling, but very similar "Butterfly Catch" isnt that big. In fact, "Star Catch" has better line drawing/catching, so its possible that Star Catch could overtake Butterfly Catch in overall quality. BC is probably always going to be a little cuter, but perhaps you can overtake them in other ways.

A global leaderboard (BC has already) will help. You also could use some options/play modes too. In Episode 1, the difficulty curve was a little slow, so a "hard" mode with a separate high score table to jump to higher difficulties would be nice.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a separate hard mode. After Episode 4 (I am working on that right now) I think I will have a good transition that will allow me to create those difficulty levels. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Did you mean Butterfly Catch or FlyLoop? FlyLoop is a nice looking game.

09-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craighinrichs View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a separate hard mode. After Episode 4 (I am working on that right now) I think I will have a good transition that will allow me to create those difficulty levels. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Did you mean Butterfly Catch or FlyLoop? FlyLoop is a nice looking game.
Yeah, FlyLoop. That is the one I have. It is a little better looking then Star Catch. That isnt a cut on Star Catch, its just that FL is very nice looking. You, however, have better loop drawing.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
Yeah, FlyLoop. That is the one I have. It is a little better looking then Star Catch. That isnt a cut on Star Catch, its just that FL is very nice looking. You, however, have better loop drawing.
Not taken as a cut what-so-ever. FlyLoop is nice.

When making this game I was going for a cartoon look with pixel graphics because I wanted to leave room to expand the gameplay and story. I also wanted to make the stars cute as this would be a challenge for me as my regular drawing style is much different.

As you can see. So making these stars cute was a challenge. In fact I think I made them too cute in the beginning and had to scale them back. I have been having a blast developing this game and adding to it. I am working on the fourth update right now. I really want this to be a game that people have fun playing and look forward to the updates.

I really appreciate your feedback!

Craig