Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 05-22-2014, 03:35 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Default Why ios games are released on wednesday?

So each wednesday I see a post on TA that says - look, another 10 decent games release today. Why is this happening? Can't they release on another day?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I think thats the day when Apple refresh their apps of the week ? Its something to do with Apple and the charts, eg new and noteworthy or something as thats why they all release weds at midnight.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Technically it's Thursday, but yes it is due to Apple's general release behaviour.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

This makes sense. So does this mean that if you release on a Thursday you'd be put into the New and Noteworthy lists that same day? I have never really timed a launch before, just put the game out and found that it was usually featured a week or so later.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Yeah I forget how it works. I tried to time it and it didn't really work out for me at all. My game pretty much got no recognition at all lol. It got a great review from one person I respect quite a bit (Ray Wenderlich), but that's about it. Oh well, most of us go through these experiences.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

It's simply Apple's release window. Who knows why it's Wednesday/Thursday, really.

From what I've learned through experience and developers on here, it's rare to get an Apple feature unless your game is released within that window. Apple has even been known to ask developers of high-profile games to delay the releases so that they are guaranteed a feature.
Though that doesn't mean that need a large profile game to be "noticed", it's as it always has been - luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:29 PM

Yeah it's mostly luck. Honestly it is a completely lazy system by a company that is making an insane amount of money all the time (Apple). It's something that really shouldn't be mostly random. I vote for TA if anyone is ever allowed to moderate it lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

You guys think the game sections are bad? most of my apps are in the sports section of the store and they have had the same 10-12 apps featured as "new and noteworthly" for the last 2 years haha. Not one has been released in the year 2014 that is on there and there are even some from like 2010.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmint View Post
You guys think the game sections are bad? most of my apps are in the sports section of the store and they have had the same 10-12 apps featured as "new and noteworthly" for the last 2 years haha. Not one has been released in the year 2014 that is on there and there are even some from like 2010.
That's disgusting. I've never even looked at the sports section before but still, that is obviously broken.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmint View Post
There's a sports section?