Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default The game you had the lowest expectations of but ended up liking the most?

I remember when one of my friends tried to convince me to buy King of Dragon Pass, an rpg, civ-like strategy, choose your own adventure type game. He was playing it on his iPhone and I said I didn't want to buy it and blow up the screen on the iPad because thats the device I had, and I was convinced it was not my kind of game anyway, but he told me it was worth it. Then one day the iPad version was released and it was on sale so I was thinking I'll buy it now if only just to shut him up. And I ended up loving the game so much I could play it for hours once I started it up, and I was playing it both on my new iPhone and my iPad.

So let's hear it from you. Any iOS game or games you had very little expectations before going in, but found yourself getting hopelessly addicted to?

Last edited by Empfmil; 05-22-2014 at 10:28 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Either Beat Hazard or Catch the Candy.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Heck, I'll go with an easy one: Flappy Bird.

While it wasn't worthy of the flap-mania that accompanied it, I'd assumed from the TA commenters and the screenshots that it was a terrible game. It was actually simple, straightforward fun with a solidly addicting mechanic.

It's hard to go back through my entire history of gaming and pick one that fits the bill perfectly, but Flappy Bird is the latest "pleasant surprise" game.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Mine is definitely Plundernauts.

I didn't have the "lowest" expectations, so to speak, because I have and always will have at least a sliver of faith Backflip Studios. But, looking at it from the outside, it looks like a horrible free to play grind fest with double currencies and timers. But in actuality, it's not.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it was an amazing game, even with the F2P aspects.

The gameplay is highly strategic, and revolves around hooking up your spaceship with the best weapons and tech, then maneuvering it using the environment and the enemies weaknesses to your advantage in order to beat them.

The secondary currency only necessary for one thing, which is moving in between galaxies. But, it only costs about 0-5 antimatter (the second currency) to move in between a galaxy. I have over 800 antimatter after beating only the first galaxy, which consisted of around 20 planets.

Buying things is done with coins, the primary currency, which you earn very quickly. The only thing you buy with antimatter is new ships, which are unnecessary because you can keep upgrading your first ship (which only costs coins). You earn money at a very good rate, and items are sold and reasonable rates as well.

There is an energy system, you have 5 energy bars (5 games/matches) until you run out of energy, but around 2 bars end up restoring while I'm playing anyway, so it's usually about 6-7 matches. You can boost the time with antimatter, but it's unneccesary. Just go play Dwarven Den while you wait

Then next (and one of the coolest) parts is the crafting system. There are recipes to craft things in the info labels of items and materials, that show you the gist of how to craft things, but there are still a lot of things left to discover. It gives you the two pieces you need to craft a weapon (called turrets) and then it tells you you just need a random piece of material as the third part.

So you need to experiment to figure out which parts will create which types of turrets (blaster, laser, torpedo, beam, or missile). Same fighters (yes, you can release mini squadrons of ships to attack!). Tech mods have specific recipes. The longest timer I've encountered in the entire game, has been an item that took 5 hours. There's a reason for this and you probably won't find yourself crafting these too often. 85% of the things I've crafted have taken 20 mins or less.

Plus, with all the loot types, there's different rarity levels. The rarer pieces usually have a special mutation, like life steal, crit chance, and higher currency drop rates. There's 4 levels I believe: Common, Uncommon, Rare, and Epic (White, green, blue, and purple, respectively). The loot levels are for turrets, fighters, and tech mods.

Also, there's different crew members that give your ship different unique active and passive abilities, but those cost antimatter as well. But, they're unneccesary because you are given one in the beginning, and it's pretty good.

As you can see, ridiculously high praise from me. This game is frickin awesome.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:13 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empfmil View Post
I remember when one of my friends tried to convince me to buy King of Dragon Pass, an rpg, civ-like strategy, choose your own adventure type game.
Hell yeah! KoDP!

Mine has to be Pocket God. You've got to be pretty old school to appreciate why, but if anyone remembers Pocket God 1.0 it was so basic we didn't even cover it because it was overly generous to even call it a "game." I don't remember specifically, but I THINK all you could do was tilt to make the pygmies slide or flick them in to the water. That's it.

I've got to hand it to davecazz though, that dude came through with more content and gameplay in that game than anything I've ever seen before and watching its evolution has been beyond fascinating. Even if it's a little old by today's standards, I'm not sure there's a game on the App Store that offers more content for a buck than Pocket God.

I still fiddle around in it every few days, as there's so much in it I find myself forgetting the little tricks and interactions in the game and re-discovering them is just as fun as it was the first time.

Great thread idea, by the way. You should post more.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Any Gameloft game.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Angry Birds - three starred everything and got every game centre achievement even made it to number 1 in my county when Crystal could measure scores by region. I was pleased, my wife was ashamed. My kids couldn't believe I was still playing Angry Birds.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Plundernauts does not seem to be available in EU. Such a shame

Anyway I just thought of another game myself but you guys might have to help me with the name. It's a light-hearted arcade game in space where you're a girl working for your uncle on a space station, and you drive around with your spaceship on an open 2D area, mining meteorites for loot and shooting enemies in order to upgrade your ship and eventually beat the game. Is it called space miner?

Anyway, heck I thought it would be a 20 minute romp and a bit of decent timewaster at best before I tried it, but man that game swallowed me whole for the next few days! I admit there was not much difficulty in the combat but I became sooo addicted to mining all the rocks for loot and upgrading my ship that I would always sit and play for at least an hour each session, often more than that.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I used my CA account to get Plundernauts. It's soft launched there and in NZ.

And I think everyone has been addicted to Space Miner at one time or another Such a fantastic game.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Hearthstone. I've never, ever been remotely interested in CCGs, but I figured I'd give it a try because free + critical acclaim is hard to pass up.

I was hopelessly addicted halfway through the tutorial.