★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Animal Kingdom (Jungle Board Game) + Lite $0.99

08-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Animal Kingdom (Jungle Board Game) + Lite $0.99

Quote:
Animal Kingdom is an easy-to-learn, easy-to-play board game with beautiful graphics and animations. It is joyful by simply watching how pieces move around on the board.

It is a challenging game too, and you should feel proud if you can defeat our hard-level AI (we have never done that). Animal Kingdom is perfect for charging your brain in 5 minutes everyday, and you can resume the joy whenever you want.

We don’t play Chess, Go or other brain-consuming board games, but we do enjoy playing Animal Kingdom whenever we got 5 minuets. If you are like us, Animal Kingdom is the one for you.
My Impressions:
If you already like what you see/read, then go for it. I know board games don't excite everyone, but like the description hints at - this isn't deviously hard like GO or some Chess games. To me its more like checkers, or even Archon. And It is..polished. The pieces movement will impress I'm sure, then there's the unique sfx for each animal (no music though), and overall simple interface with barely any buttons.

The screenshot shows a few things drawn on the board, those are not just decorations. They are part of the gameplay, ie only the mouse can go into the river areas.

I've played a few matches against the AI on beginner and it is still no push over.

Currently Playing::Meteor Blitz, EW Jim, Boost 3D, COD: Zombies, Eliminate::

Last edited by Veratek; 09-18-2009 at 05:16 PM.
08-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratek View Post

If you already like what you see/read, then go for it. I know board games don't excite everyone, but like the description hints at - this isn't deviously hard like GO or some Chess games. To me its more like checkers, or even Archon. And It is..polished. The pieces movement will impress I'm sure, then there's the unique sfx for each animal (no music though), and overall simple interface with barely any buttons.

The screenshot shows a few things drawn on the board, those are not just decorations. They are part of the gameplay, ie only the mouse can go into the river areas.

I've played a few matches against the AI on beginner and it is still no push over. Which i like to hear.
After playing this, I immediately came here to post about it, but Veratek beat me to it. Dammit, man, I got up at 6am and still couldn't post first!

+1 to his comments. It's like Roshambo on crack, with positioning and special abilities playing a key role. The movement animations are indeed spectacular, although they made me want a Star Wars Battle Chess-style conflict animation to be present, as well.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 08-23-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: edited out photo

08-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Gameplay Video
http://cocoaheadsbj.org/projects/ani...dom/Video.html
08-23-2009, 09:33 AM
It's dou shou qi! (or "jungle")

App looks beautiful... I own this as a board game and really enjoy it.

If it's got multiplayer it's a sealed deal.
08-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumby View Post
If it's got multiplayer it's a sealed deal.
It has Dual Play http://cocoaheadsbj.org/projects/ani...enshots.html#0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_(board_game)
08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
do you mean pass n play

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyye06 View Post
do you mean pass n play
Yes. No online multiplayer.
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I wonder how this compares to Jungle?

I really like Jungle, but I can't see getting another game like it unless there's some great feature the one offers that the other doesn't.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
I wonder how this compares to Jungle?.
Looks to be a different implementation of the same board game.

Looks a bit more "polished" (pun intended) than Jungle, but also more sterile. Jungle has nice animated backgrounds, and animal sounds, this one looks more like your just playing with a nice looking marble set.

EDIT: I now know that the animals walk around, and it's very well animated. Better in all aspects than Jungle except that the board doesn't animate and it's more serious and less cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 10-08-2009 at 02:54 PM.
08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
cool artwork