★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Skeleton Key [v2.0 Out Now]

08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Skeleton Key [v2.0 Out Now]

You are a treasure hunter who has acquired the keys to countless treasure chests. You must unlock them all!

Skeleton Key is an addictive puzzle game in which you shift keys around the board unlocking treasure chests. You move keys LEFT, RIGHT, or DOWN by swiping the screen, and all keys move at the same time. Be careful though, you might get stuck and have to shake your device to restart the level!

Things get more complicated with doors and door switches. Moving a key over a door switch opens all the closed doors and closes all the open doors, so even with incredibly simple rules, the game gets very tricky.

You must beat the level within a specific number of moves for each level. This number changes with the difficulty. Hard is very challenging!

- Beautiful graphics, sounds, and music with a pirate island feel
- 100 unique and challenging levels
- 3 difficulties: Easy, Medium, and Hard
- Listen to your own tunes or the included music

08-23-2009, 11:35 PM
video please

08-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Hey everyone, I made Skeleton Key. This is my first iPhone game, so let me know what you think! cranker, I have plans for a video real soon, as soon as I can borrow a camcorder . Also, a Lite version is in App Store review right now, so you should be able to play the first 15 levels for free in a week or two.
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I got this game last night, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Skeleton Key is a puzzle game that delivers. Puzzle gamers are definitely the target audience however, so anyone looking for action adventure mixed in will not find it in the game, it's just a really good puzzle game to kill time with. (In other words... you won't be blowing shit up or going to rescue the princess) The best way to compare the gameplay style is to say its like a mix between the games Double Maze, Hedgehogs, and Blocked except this game has its own different theme. In Skeleton Keys you are a treasure hunter who has to unlock all the treasure chests using the skeleton keys provided to complete each level. There is only 1 key provided for each treasure chest in every level. All the keys move simultaneously according to your swipe direction - left, right, or down, but moving up is not allowed. You have to guide all the keys to the treasure chests without getting any of them stuck anywhere before you can unlock the chests. There are plenty of walls that get in your way while trying to navigate the keys to the treasure chests, and after completing the beginning levels you will have to deal with doors that block your path as well, and door switches that need to be crossed to open and close the doors.

You are only allowed a certain amount of moves to complete each level. If you do get a key stuck you will have to shake your device to restart the level and try the puzzle again.

There are 3 different levels of difficulty to choose from - EASY, MEDIUM, HARD. The difference between the 3 are the amount of moves that you are allowed to have to complete each level. Playing on easy will allow you to complete the puzzle with plenty of moves and playing on hard will only allow a very limited amount of moves for you to work with. If you run out of moves and have to restart a level, you lose a life. Your score at the end of each level is determined by how many moves you have left over at the end of the level. Each move left over = 1 point, every 30 points accumulated over time will award you an extra life. If you run out of lives before completing a level, you can continue, but it will cost you your entire score. If you choose not to continue, the game ends and you can enter your name on a high scores list.

Skeleton Key has music, it's very mellow kind of music, it's not bad but if you don't care for it you can play your own music instead while playing the game.

I definitely recommend this game to puzzle gamers, it is well put together and does get challenging. 100 levels in the game, that gradually increase in difficulty. I am only at level 14 after about 40 mins.

A few things I would like to see added in an update would be more sound effects and it would be great to have more of a story thrown in. But as the game is now it is a very worthwhile addition to the puzzle genre. 8.5/10
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks Freedog -

I was checking this out in the app store a couple of ddays ago, and it looked like it might be pretty good. Was not confident enough in it to take the plunge however. Will strongly consider at this point.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the review Freedog! Hmm, I'll keep the sound effects and story suggestions in mind for a future update. Please, everyone let me know what you think! This is my first game so I'm just starting to learn the ropes.

My next update will also bring the game down to smaller than 10MB. As it is, I hear you need to connected to wifi to download the game, which I didn't realize before.

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
08-24-2009, 05:51 PM
looks pretty cool, you should make a gameplay video
08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
This is an excellent puzzle game and I find it challenging, but easy to return to. It's one of those games that you want to keep on trying to beat, instead of deleting it off your ipod. Its a great time killer, with the music mixing with the gameplay, even though I used my own.

The concept of the game is simple, which is to get the keys into the treasure chests in a certain amount of moves. All the keys move at the same time, so you'll have to plan when to move the keys and where to move it, or which keys to use on the different chests.

It is a very nice game, and especially attractive to puzzle gamers. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you want some challenging puzzles ahead of you. It definitely has enough content, seeing as I'm only on lvl 10 on easy, and have been playing for a good 30 minutes or so (I'm not too good at puzzles )

For suggestions, I'm going to have to agree w/ freedog, with the sound effects and story. Another thing that I think would be cool is if you could actually get stuff from treasure, such as in Puzzlings. But that may too far of a stretch from the purpose of the game. Or you could add in different types of treasure chests and different distractions in the way, like portals or something. Just a thought.

If you don't have this game and you like puzzles, give it a shot!
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
nice review checking this out now
08-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I have a promotional video now!
Check it out:

Youtube link | Pop Up

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)

Last edited by DaveMc99; 08-27-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: embed video