Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Default iOS 8: so what about Game Center?

Some time ago there were rumors about the Game Center app disappearing from iOS 8, but now iOS 8 is officially announced I cannot find any updated news on what will happen (or if anything will happen) with GC. For sure lots of backend functionality must continue as too many existing apps depend on that (for example match making!) and as the idea that was reported was to leave functionality to the individual apps, I imagined that the game would be responsible for offering buttons to display leaderboards, achievements etcetera. Anyways, anybody here who knows or has seen something about this?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Not sure where you heard the app was disappearing, but that is absolutely not true. Game Center continues to be a part of iOS and OS X, with the OS X version being completely revised and updated for Yosemite.

Apple has far more registered Game Center accounts than Sony has PSN accounts and Microsoft has Xbox Live accounts combined - believe me, it's not going anywhere.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I forgot about GC on my iPhone, because I have this tweak which stops that annoying welcome banner from appearing every time I launch a game.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I had to Google a bit to see how good my memory was , but it seems that in March this year many sites reported more or less the same. Example from 9to5mac: iOS 8: Apple considers Notification Center + Messages tweaks, removing Game Center app.

Quote:
- Game Center: Sources say that Apple is considering removing the Game Center application from iOS and OS X. Instead of having the (little-used) Game Center app, the functionality will solely be found inside in games that have integrated the social gaming service.
So to be clear, the rumors were about the app, not about, let's say, the framework. Still, even if it is only about the app, there are enough games that don't have an in-game GC button, that could trigger leaderboard or achievement popups from within the game.

For now, I assume that since there is no explicit news about this with the official iOS announcement, that nothing will change (the app will continue).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saosijs View Post
I had to Google a bit to see how good my memory was , but it seems that in March this year many sites reported more or less the same. Example from 9to5mac: iOS 8: Apple considers Notification Center + Messages tweaks, removing Game Center app.

So to be clear, the rumors were about the app, not about, let's say, the framework. Still, even if it is only about the app, there are enough games that don't have an in-game GC button, that could trigger leaderboard or achievement popups from within the game.

For now, I assume that since there is no explicit news about this with the official iOS announcement, that nothing will change (the app will continue).
Wow that guy was spot on in most of his predictions. I hope he got the entire game center thing wrong. Lol
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 8.x

It's like iOS 7 but better. (In a nutshell)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
It's like iOS 7 but better. (In a nutshell)
It's like iOS 7 Game Center "+1"?
Where did you hear/see/find details on it?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saosijs View Post
It's like iOS 7 Game Center "+1"?
Where did you hear/see/find details on it?
We all know no one is sure about it, but from what I've read up on so far Apple has 3 ways to with the app.

1.They can have the same old crappy game center that almost no one understands how to use.

2. They can upgrade the already existing app, having more compatibility, or even a whole new thing all together. I've read from some sources that iPhones with MFi controllers will be able to be used by devs for iPad and Mac games.

3. Many say that Game Center will disappear. Achievements and other features presented in the app will be taken are of by the game itself, such as in game achievements.

I think that apple can go any way at this point. Although I also think that they should have spent more time on it. There's a few months before it's inevitable release, so we'll see what this will turn out to be soon enough.
My guess was that it's pretty much iOS 7 but better. From recent experiences, that's my opinion of the changes. Apple had never cared to work on or explain Game Center before.

Last edited by Anonomation; 06-04-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Good riddance, if it goes.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Game Center as it is at its present state is a badly implemented good idea. I've had lots of achievements that did not sync when earned offline, you can't send messages to your friends etc. Apple need to work on their priorities since the main sell of their devices is gaming. They could have layed out a structure for gamers, but I think it also has to do with game devs who aren't willing to spend time on coding and such.