★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it worth supporting earlier than OS 3.0?

08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 317
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
Is it worth supporting earlier than OS 3.0?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's still worth it to support OS versions less than 3.0 in my apps? Do you have any idea how many people still use OS less than 3.0?

Cheers,
ILIYA
08-24-2009, 03:44 PM
#2
People will gripe if you don't. That doesn't necessarily mean a huge amount of sales mind you, but they will complain. If you don't need 3.0 features, why not support older OS versions?

Xenovoid - FREE 4X Galactic Conquest MMO for iOS, PC, OSX, and Linux
JOIN THE FREE BETA @ Xenovoid.com

08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 317
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
The thing is that I do need OS 3.0 features and it would be quite difficult separating functionality based on OS version.
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 218
The OS upgrade is free on the iPhone and cheap for the touch... I wouldn't go too out of your way to support legacy the OS's, particularly if you feel it's difficult to parse out the functionality...

Now supporting the legacy hardware is a different matter... certainly try to avoid having core functions of your app that only work on the 3GS unless its absolutely necessary. That's just crippling your market share. (I know that's not direclty what you asked about but it's somewhat related)
08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffwb View Post
The OS upgrade is free on the iPhone and cheap for the touch... I wouldn't go too out of your way to support legacy the OS's, particularly if you feel it's difficult to parse out the functionality...

Now supporting the legacy hardware is a different matter... certainly try to avoid having core functions of your app that only work on the 3GS unless its absolutely necessary. That's just crippling your market share. (I know that's not direclty what you asked about but it's somewhat related)
Seriously? The iPod touch software is $13! (AUD)

C'mon, I already paid like $400 (AUD) for the iPod, why should I have to fork out more money for a pissy little update, especially when iPhone users get it for free!
08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 227
And then you might consider customers who have Jailbroken devices. Not all of us are willing to upgrade to 3.0, and jailbreak again.

And as Hmar9333 said, when you consider how much we pay for the iPod Touch, $13 AUD/$10 USD is a lot of money.
08-24-2009, 06:55 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmar9333 View Post
Seriously? The iPod touch software is $13! (AUD)

C'mon, I already paid like $400 (AUD) for the iPod, why should I have to fork out more money for a pissy little update, especially when iPhone users get it for free!
my bad, it's "relatively" cheap... the cost of the OS updates for the touch is rough, but I'd say the added functionality has been worth it so far.

From the developers perspective though, people who don't upgrade the OS are also less likely to be buying apps. I just don't think it's worth the effort of the developer to support a likely small portion of their audience (particularly if it cripples or decreases the functionality of their app).
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmar9333 View Post
Seriously? The iPod touch software is $13! (AUD)

C'mon, I already paid like $400 (AUD) for the iPod, why should I have to fork out more money for a pissy little update, especially when iPhone users get it for free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorero View Post
And then you might consider customers who have Jailbroken devices. Not all of us are willing to upgrade to 3.0, and jailbreak again.

And as Hmar9333 said, when you consider how much we pay for the iPod Touch, $13 AUD/$10 USD is a lot of money.
This is probably not your market segment here. If they are unwilling to upgrade their OS for your app/game because of $10 or the time it might take to jailbreak then it isn't worth your time to worry about them.

$10 every year for a major OS change really isn't all that much as these two make it out to be. They just feel entitled to it because iPhone users get it free (hint, data cell plan costs monthly charges).

I am jailbroken and I bit the bullet because I wanted the 3.0 features. It is worth it considering the little time I invested on jailbreaking again. I am the exact opposite of the two above though. I get mad when devs don't develop for new features and leave the version stale on older OS versions.

Just explain in your update why os 3.0 is needed (feature wise) and you should be fine. Yes there will be those that complain but it is what it is. Either move forward or get out of the way.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues
08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
#9
I've found that it's been worth dropping support for older versions. Initially there were fewer sales, but 3.0 adoption is growing. You also have to take into account that people who upgrade to 3.0 are also more likely to buy apps.
08-25-2009, 04:28 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 317
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
Hi guys,

thanks a lot for your comments. It was helpful for me to decide to leave the OS legacy and go for OS 3 and higher only. I need the built-in maps functionality, and this is the feature that I need OS 3 for.

Anyway, thanks once again! But if my sales are low, I will blame all of you Just kidding!

P.S. Have a look at the app I am talking about:
http://www.cramzy.com/AMustGo/

It's still in dev though... I hope to have it released by the end of this week.

Cheers,
ILIYA