Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Fantasy gamebook app: PROTEUS - THE TOWER OF TERROR

AppEndix LLC and Wimborne Publishing are thrilled to announce: Proteus – The Tower of Terror! The first release in a series of interactive fantasy and sci-fi gamebook adventures is now available exclusively on the AppStore - for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Written by David Brunskill, the first Proteus adventure pits you as a student at the Academy of the Grand Wizard Eleutheria against an evil and powerful Wizard called Belenghast, the Ruler of Darkblood. Armed with your own Dexterity, Strength, and Courage, a sword and torch, and a number of magical potions, you will ascend the Tower of Terror until you arrive face to face with the evil shape-shifting Wizard.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Very glad to see another gamebook series come to iOS!

The Tower of Terror is a decent FF-style book, but what makes me most excited is that book 2 might make it, which is a nifty giant maze type adventure.

Easily worth it for 2 bucks if you like fantasy gamebooks.

I'll come back with more comments after I've played with the app more.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM

We're going to adapt all 20 issues of Proteus eventually (which translates into 21 apps, since one of the issues was a double-issue with an X-mas special). Work on Proteus 2 (The Mines of Malagus) has already begun, in fact.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppEndix View Post
We're going to adapt all 20 issues of Proteus eventually (which translates into 21 apps, since one of the issues was a double-issue with an X-mas special). Work on Proteus 2 (The Mines of Malagus) has already begun, in fact.
Good news! I have fond memories of the 2nd book.

A couple of comments after having played the app a bit:

1) Please include an option to speed up/remove the text and/or graphics animations, the text appears slow enough that it breaks the flow of reading for me.

2) All of your screenshots appear sideways in the iPhone AppStore. Also, IMHO having the same big guy graphic in all pictures makes the app look cheesy. To me it says you're trying to not show actual screenshots.

If you haven't played any of Tin Man Games' Gamebook Adventures, please do so - they're the 'gold standard' for this sort of thing on iOS.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Good news! I have fond memories of the 2nd book.
The Mines of Malagus is definitely a good story. It’s very non-linear, which means you can proceed through the same labyrinth multiple times, without necessarily noticing

The Proteus stories vary in quality from issue to issue, but generally have gotten better and better (and more complex) with each issue, and include a number of real hidden gems, too. Personally, I’m also looking forward to some of the sci-fi and sci-fantasy stories, as well as of course to the conclusion of Ruth Pracy’s saga (spanning stores in Warlock magazine) in issue 14.

Quote:
A couple of comments after having played the app a bit:
Thanks for the feedback! Always appreciated, and one of the main reasons why I like the toucharcade forums as the users are quite… opinionated ;-) Seriously, though, only feedback makes us better.

Quote:
1) Please include an option to speed up/remove the text and/or graphics animations, the text appears slow enough that it breaks the flow of reading for me.
We’ve opted for the fade-in effect mainly to increase suspension. There are a number of options in the story where you know you are choosing between life and death, and having the text fade in magically really keeps you on the edge of the seat, as you don’t know until halfway through if you live or die.

The effect, however, only appears on the first loading of the page. As you flip through them, the text remains visible on subsequent flips, making for a faster reading. The idea here is that the first time you read the story, you do pay attention, while later on you may skip or fast-read.

Graphics animations do not prevent you from reading on, you can skip through them right away.

Quote:
2) All of your screenshots appear sideways in the iPhone AppStore. Also, IMHO having the same big guy graphic in all pictures makes the app look cheesy. To me it says you're trying to not show actual screenshots.
Funny enough, the design choice for those was for the exact opposite reason: the AppStore only allows 5 screenshots, and we wanted to show more, so the design we have chosen allows us to show off twice as many screenshots (2 screenshots per image).

Quote:
If you haven't played any of Tin Man Games' Gamebook Adventures, please do so - they're the 'gold standard' for this sort of thing on iOS.
I know Tin Man Games of course. I think they’ve lost the gold standard status to Inkle’s Sorcery, though, which really managed to reinvent the entire genre. Just a personal opinion, however, I don’t want to start a fight

Truth is that both of them, plus Lone Wolf, are great and done with obvious passion for gamebooks (as, I hope, also shows in ours). As a gamebook fan, I appreciate that. And I think that it would sad if everyone was making the same type of app Variety is good.

Our engine (which is now in version 3) has unique elements not found in any of the others, while not having all of the features the others have. Much of that is deliberate by design choice (there are elements in all of the other three that I find annoying, so we tried to do things differently). Some of the unique features include the animated interface (the torch-lit book), the almost complete lack of background music (which, no matter how well done, goes on your nerves sooner or later) which is replaced by atmospheric (and visual) effects that accompany the story, the custom dice designs, full voiceover support (for blind players or if you prefer to listen to the text instead of reading), just to name a few.