Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Lack of quality games lately

It's been 2 years now since I really started paying attention to the weekly influx of games that iOS has to offer. Over that time it seems like week after week we've been treated to at least 2-4 must have games. This year has been great for iOS games with such releases as FTL, Wayward Souls, Battleheart: Legacy, Darkin, 99 Bricks, Hearthstone, Leo's Fortune, OTTTD, and Bug Heroes 2. Seems like I was having a problem keeping my spending under control for the past 2 years as there were a number of games each week to warrant throwing down the dough. I kind of feel like we've had a serious lull lately though. Instead of having 2-4 must have games every week, it seems like there have been 1 maybe 2 games a week that seem worthwhile. Anyone else been thinking the same thing?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangbone View Post
It's been 2 years now since I really started paying attention to the weekly influx of games that iOS has to offer. Over that time it seems like week after week we've been treated to at least 2-4 must have games. This year has been great for iOS games with such releases as FTL, Wayward Souls, Battleheart: Legacy, Darkin, 99 Bricks, Hearthstone, Leo's Fortune, OTTTD, and Bug Heroes 2. Seems like I was having a problem keeping my spending under control for the past 2 years as there were a number of games each week to warrant throwing down the dough. I kind of feel like we've had a serious lull lately though. Instead of having 2-4 must have games every week, it seems like there have been 1 maybe 2 games a week that seem worthwhile. Anyone else been thinking the same thing?
Of the games you name, one came out just 2 weeks ago, and another just 3. Last week we had VVVVVV and Fluid SE, which made it a pretty strong week in my book. It's really just your perception and taste if anything.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I agree with Royce. There are so many different games that have been released lately-some that one would find high quality and others that simply would not.

Your statement which is very respectful is also generic. What makes a quality game? The audio/visuals? Replayability factor? Genre? Amount of levels? 2d vs 3d? etc...
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

It could be to do with development apps such as unity3D, unReal engine, GameSalad, Corona all making it easier for people to create a game and distribute it themselves? Hence the present glut of games.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Or crappy flappy...
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Micromon
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

It seems like this comment is made every few months. There is a ring of truth to it in the sense that the sheer volume of games released every week, including poorly made and insignificant games, continued to increase exponentially and has in fact been doing so since the inception of the Appstore. At the inception of the AppStore developers were trying to learn how to design for the fledgling mobile touch device and sloughing off the old preconceived notions of how a game should work according to the history of console games. Every new idea was fresh and revelatory and there was an abundance of creativite output. Over time developers seemed to solidify certain control and design techniques that seemed to work especially well on the device and a number of genres emerged. On the one hand games in the early days seemed more creative as there was a lot of exploration being done. On the other hand, the bar has been raised in more recently developed games as they have more powerful devices to work with and a strong foundation of proven techniques. Some of the highly rated premium games of years ago seem mediocre and dated compared to some of the lower rated games of today's standards. This is of course not univarsality true, but it may be generally so. A peek through the Touch Arcade review archives makes for a good illustration.

Last edited by retr0spective; 08-02-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Old 08-02-2014, 01:09 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
It seems like this comment is made every few months. There is a ring of truth to it in the sense that the sheer volume of games released every week, including poorly made and insignificant games, continued to increase exponentially and has in fact been doing so since the inception of the Appstore. At the inception of the AppStore developers were trying to learn how to design for the fledgling mobile touch device and sloughing off the old preconceived notions of how a game should work according to the history of console games. Every new idea was fresh and revelatory and there was an abundance of creativite output. Over time developers seemed to solidify certain control and design techniques that seemed to work especially well on the device and a number of genres emerged. On the one hand games in the early days seemed more creative as there was a lot of exploration being done. On the other hand, the bar has been raised in more recently developed games as they have more powerful devices to work with and a strong foundation of proven techniques. Some of the highly rated premium games of years ago seem mediocre and dated compared to some of the lower rated games of today's standards. This is of course not univarsality true, but it may be generally so. A peek through the Touch Arcade review archives makes for a good illustration.
This^
Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Golden years: 2010 - 2012

that's it
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italodance View Post
Golden years: 2010 - 2012

that's it
It is a scientifically proven fact that everything was better then that it is now .