★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ** Dizzyroids is now free! Enjoy, and if you like it, check out Maverick Software's other games **

Are you up to the challenge? How long can you play before you are completely dizzy?

A totally new twist on a retro classic, DizzyRoids takes the old school fun of shooting asteroids and flips it on its head.

Using the built-in compass on the iPhone 3GS or touch controls on any iPhone or iPod Touch you'll be blasting asteroids and getting dizzy in no time.

In a unique control mode with the compass in the 3GS, you actually control the rotation of your ship by turning yourself around in the real world. Just make sure you have plenty of open space and somewhere to sit down when you get dizzy!

The only thing more fun than playing DizzyRoids with the compass is handing your phone to a friend and watching them spin around while shooting and dodging asteroids.

Don't have a fancy 3GS phone? No problem, you can play with touchscreen controls and still have the universe spinning wildly about you! Or switch to the easy classic controls, where only your ship spins instead of the whole universe.

DizzyRoids features:
- Unique compass controls on the iPhone 3GS
- Touch controls for older devices
- Infinite levels of increasingly frantic play
- Global online high scores, via the AGON leaderboard service
- Full stereo sound effects
- Retro style play with graphics options, photo-realistic or cartoon
- Pause the game at any time, with auto-pause if you get a phone call

NOTE: DizzyRoids only uses the compass to see what direction you are facing to play the game, it doesn't look up or store your GPS location.

If you have any questions, feedback, or suggestions, email us at support@mavericksw.com!

gmatom's comments:
For anyone with a 3GS phone, looking for something show off the compass, or anyone with older phones/iPod Touches just looking for something a bit different, check out DizzyRoids, our latest game, which just got approved.

DizzyRoids takes the old-school arcade action of Asteroids, and gives it a new twist. On a 3GS phone, you actually stand up and face different directions while holding the phone to aim at different asteroids. The magic of the built-in compass makes it work. A few rounds and you will definitely get dizzy

You can also play with non-compass touch controls, if you don't have a 3GS. You'll still get everything whirling about you as you spin the universe.

Here's a video of the gameplay and controls:

08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
What an unfortunate choice of name. It sounds like an absurd folk remedy for swolen rectal veins.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
ROFLMAO... well it's actually cause I fell to the floor LOL. Holy cow! "May cause dizziness" No Kidding. Made my wife dizzy watching me.

I like how it auto-selects the mode pending on location services being on and off.

Is it me or is the firing a little less sensitive or responsive when in compass mode?

Uber fun so far but heads still spinning.

copied from promo thread

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
lol, don't use this as a drinking game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
08-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Now free!

I decided to make the game free for a few days, so here's your chance to check it out with no risk!

I've just submitted an update to apple that adds online worldwide highscores (with AGON), and plan to do some more updates in the future.

Here's the app store link again.

Glenda

Glenda Adams
Maverick Software
Cupcakes!, More Toast, More Pizza, Lemonade Stand, TriCalc, and more!
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
1.1 update out

What's new
- Now with worldwide online leaderboards, courtesy of AGON!

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyye06 View Post
1.1 update out

What's new
- Now with worldwide online leaderboards, courtesy of AGON!
That's good news.

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
New 1.2 update, improved graphics

We just got our 1.2 update approved, we completely revamped the graphics to be more photo-realistic. You can still optionally turn on the old cartoon style asteroids, but the new particle effects and asteroids look pretty nice. Here are some new screenshots:

Still only 99cents, check it out in the store.

Glenda Adams
Maverick Software
11-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Now FREE!

We've decided to make DizzyRoids free now, so take a look if you want to play some retro style fun.

DizzyRoids on iTunes

Glenda Adams
Maverick Software