★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

My control ideas for an iKH

08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
My control ideas for an iKH

Recently, I've been wondering why Enix doesn't want to port or make a Kingdom Hearts game for the iPhone. I thought maybe it was because they didn't see much money in it. Maybe they are just too busy making them for the DS and PSP. Maybe they just don't think the iPod Touch/iPhone is legit enough.
But then it dawned on me that they weren't thinking of an "iKH" because of the controls hassle. Although this might not be the case, I spent some time wondering how a game of this magnitude in controls would work. Here's my idea. Please read my entire post before making assumptions and comments.

Another one with horizontal controls flip.

Yeah, it's pretty much a picture of my hands holding an iPod Touch with a copy/paste picture of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days done in paint shop with buttons taken from Hero of Sparta, but bear with me here, this is only a concept.

As you can see, I put the walk/run analog stick to the right, so the command menu would be more accessible. I also did this to avoid getting in the way of the game's natural interface, but maybe Enix could switch the HP bars with the walking analogue so it would be at the bottom of the screen, if they ever did an "iKH".

As you can see, to the left is jump, the button to use the selected command from the commands menu, like attack, magic, or items, and the special button for special abilities.

Now, don't jump to conclusions and say the special button is in the way of the game play. In Kingdom Hearts on the consoles, the triangle appears on the screen when you're allowed to do a special on your enemy. That's what I would like this button to do. Like the combo button in Hero of Sparta: to only appear when you can use it and remain invisible when you can't use it. Thus, why I put that Star on it.

I'm sorry for the ugly looking pause button at the top of the screen. As I said before, it's just a concept.

Another issue is the commands menu. It would seem like a bad idea, since the command options are a tad small and hard to touch, but I have an idea. instead of tapping the desired option with your thumb, you would hold your thumb down on the list and rub your thumb up and down to scroll. And there could be a little icon (representing the item or command) popping out to the side of the red bar your thumb is currently on to let you know what you're selecting.

And last of all, the camera angle can be moved by swiping on the screen, but in this case, I hope that Enix would make that very sensitive and fast, so that one rub across the screen would make a 360* rotation of the environment.

So that's my idea for the control scheme. Please send feedback or suggestions/criticism. If I knew how to contact Square, I'd use this as part of a pitch on why they should make an "iKH", whether it would be original on the iPhone or just a port.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2

Last edited by CaseyLay; 08-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow. Now that you say it, that would work!

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.

08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
There needs to be an ideas forum. Good idea though, that would definitely work!
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
they would have to move the HUD around completely, a joystick on top would not work for comfort reasons. Thats all I could say about that.

Last edited by SoCal_Sponger; 08-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Sponger View Post
they would have to move the HUD around completely, a joystick on top would not work for comfort reasons. Thats all I could say about that.
Well, I only put it on top because I didn't want it to get in the way of the HP meters, but I know what you mean. But if they were committed, Enix could switch them, the HP meters and the analogue stick. After all, they put them there in the first place. I guess I could remake it to switch them myself.

Edit: There we go. What do you think now?

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.

Last edited by CaseyLay; 08-25-2009 at 10:48 PM.
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by refaelilara View Post
Hi CaseyLay,

This is really a spectacular thing to having an touch I-pod with this facilities.
I read everything you told and decided to get this type of touch I-Pod.
And this is nice to work on this type of I-Pod.

I wish i get it shortly but with some more good features.
What u say?
I'd say don't hesitate. This is pretty much my favorite device. It's really fun to touch and tilt.

BTW, does anyone know where I can contact Square Enix so I can give this pitch?

08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
CaseyLay's post: 666. LOL, anyways, I have never played Kingdom Hearts myself (acually i did... but just for a few minutes), and well I can't say anything about the control scheme, it would be fun to have Kingdom Hearts for the iPhone or iPod

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Personally I'd prefer the whole thing flipped horizontally. I see your reasoning behind this layout, but I've spent roughly 19 years using my left hand to control movement in games and the change would really disrupt the feel for me.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Personally I'd prefer the whole thing flipped horizontally. I see your reasoning behind this layout, but I've spent roughly 19 years using my left hand to control movement in games and the change would really disrupt the feel for me.
And there I just put up a pic to cater to your desire. What do you think?

08-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLay View Post
And there I just put up a pic to cater to your desire. What do you think?
Awesome. I'd play that. The disappearing special button is good, and the scrolling commands.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ