★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Handmark, Inc.
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.9 MB
  • Version: 1.00.005
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Let your fingers do the punching in Down 4 The Count! Show your quick finger reflexes in this full-on action arcade boxing game. Take on 10 challenging opponents including Banker Bob, Zed the Zombie, and the ultimate Cyborg 3300 - each with their own boxing style and special skills. Each bout lasts up to three rounds, providing for fast and furious game play! Climb the career ladder as you beat increasingly tougher opponents to unlock the next challenger!

Tap to punch, swipe to dodge, touch and hold to block, and save up your punching power to unleash your Fire Punch!
Use the speed punch bag to train and increase your stamina and punching power
Earn the right to upgrade your gloves as you progress through the game
Use your powerful Fire Punch to knock out your opponents
Take on 10 unique fighters, each with special skills
Defeat all 10 to become the World Champion!

Down 4 the Count also includes the new OS 3.0 iPod Library feature which allows you to create the ultimate boxing soundtrack from your iPod music!

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to Ryan el champ
This sounds pretty good, has anyone already tried this yet

I play to win...

XBL Gamertag: Dude its minion

08-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Handmark has a sordid past on the AppStore. Normally I'd jump right in for a good looking boxing game, but I'd better sit tight for some impressions.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Slight irregularity in the quality of the sprites for some reason... that flaming glove is pixelated as hell.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Handmark has a sordid past on the AppStore. Normally I'd jump right in for a good looking boxing game, but I'd better sit tight for some impressions.
Their offerings are pretty wide ranging -- from Platypus and Phaze to the Oxford Dictionary of English -- so I'm not sure where the "sordid" tag comes from. In any event, here's some video. Looks decent, at least for $.99.

Youtube link | Pop Up
08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
maybe its just me, but judging by the video it looks like the frame-rate is a little choppy
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Their offerings are pretty wide ranging -- from Platypus and Phaze to the Oxford Dictionary of English -- so I'm not sure where the "sordid" tag comes from. In any event, here's some video. Looks decent, at least for $.99.
I say this because games like GTS World Racing, Hellfire etc. have left a bad taste in the mouths of some people. I'm not however close-minded, or holding their greed against them. If someone actually buys the game and posts impressions that the game is worthwhile, I'll pick it up. Besides, an entry price of a buck is less self-serving than the atrocious games they took advantage of charging premium prices for at the begining of the iTunes App Store

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
I say this because games like GTS World Racing, Hellfire etc. have left a bad taste in the mouths of some people. I'm not however close-minded, or holding their greed against them. If someone actually buys the game and posts impressions that the game is worthwhile, I'll pick it up. Besides, an entry price of a buck is less self-serving than the atrocious games they took advantage of charging premium prices for at the begining of the iTunes App Store
I'd forgotten about GTS World Racing and Hellfire -- I see your point.

I just picked up D4C and played it for a few minutes. So far it's pretty fun -- similar to Punch Out, nicely polished. The punching mechanics are a lot better than in Touch KO; you can punch both to the face and body, from the side, uppercuts, etc. There's a training mini-game in which you work with a punching bag. On my 3GS the frame rate is fine, though the sprite animation is a bit limited (at least on the first opponent). Pretty sweet at the current price -- would have paid a little more for it, even.
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
The video does look good. I'll be getting this when I get home later and I'll post some impressions.
08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks squarezero, for impressions and Youtube.