Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Default Causality - Classic Puzzle Game Reimagined (by unexpect3rd)

Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

GamesInAisa has a small section of an impression on Causality.

The best of Asian mobile gaming: June 20 to 27

Thought I'd shared it here.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Bronxsta showed me this a few weeks ago, a really quality puzzler
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Thanks mate. If only I can get some press' eyes on this...

a few dozens review requests sent out (TA included) (pre-release and post), no one seems interested. I'm only getting downloads from other indies from other indie-based fourms
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 AM

This is a lovely game. Very nice to play, and the sort of thing I just want to keep playing on and on and on. I love elegant puzzlers, and this one will stay on my iPad, my touch and my iPhone.

I gave it a 5-star review in the app store.

Last edited by Valentia; 07-07-2014 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: Added info
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

iOS 6 required. :-(

Some chance to have leaderboards and/or achievements in the future?
Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Oh, nice, was about to make a thread for this game. It's really fun. I enjoy minimalist puzzle games and logic-based puzzle games so this is right up my alley

Essentially, you're presented with a grid of tiles of two different colors. Tapping a tile swaps its color and the color of the tiles adjacent to it. Your goal is to make the entire grid one color and preferably with a limited number of taps. There's a ton of levels and each chapter introduces new mechanics. The game is extremely generous; you get 120 levels for free, the rest available with a $1.99 game unlock

Causality is worth checking out if you're looking for a challenging puzzle game with a nice amount of content and interesting mechanics
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kra096 View Post
iOS 6 required. :-(

Some chance to have leaderboards and/or achievements in the future?
Probably achievements, I don't see much of a point in making a scoring system for a leaderboard. I just want the players to take their time to solve each stage.

Last edited by unexpect3rd; 07-07-2014 at 11:02 PM..
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM

unexpect3rd,

First, congrats on releasing this game.

I am curious and may give this game a try, but I like to know a bit more about the puzzle mechanics and derivations.

My first impression is that it is a variant of the classic game Lights Out. If such is true, I think you are fully aware that a puzzle of this type (esp for more than 5 x 5 grid) can be easily created with little effort by "walking" backward from a known solution; yet, the complexity of the "created" puzzle can make it extremely daunting to solve. Further, aside from a few known strategies for certain flip configurations, the solutions could only be found by exhausting "trial and error". As well, puzzles created using this "backward walking" method can often yield other unintended solutions which differ from the original solution. For example, it can mathematically shown that, in the original 5x5 Lights Out, other solutions can always be created from an existing solution by transforming it with two orthogonal matrices.

Why this is important is that these types of games are of little fun if the "solutions" do not instill some cleverness to them. Because puzzles can easily be generated procedurally, one can have a game with many levels that are difficult to solve but little fun to play. Instead, such games need extremely careful screening and testing of created puzzles to make sure that alternative solutions are not overlooked and that the solutions involve some "cleverness" in them.

Can you comment on how these puzzles are designed? For any solvable level, have you tested it to find out the "minimum" number of moves to solve the level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpect3rd View Post
Probably achievements, I don't see much of a point in making a scoring system for a leaderboard. I just want the players to take their time to solve each stage.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 07-08-2014 at 12:30 AM..
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
unexpect3rd,
Can you comment on how these puzzles are designed? For any solvable level, have you tested it to find out the "minimum" number of moves to solve the level?

y2kmp3, thank you for showing such great interest in the game. I will provide you with a full answer later tonight as I am at my day-job at the moment, and I would like to share some images related to the development/design process as well which I do not have them now.

Meanwhile, i urge you to give the game a try, it's free and by playing just a few stages, some of your questions may be answered, such as minimal moves and difficulty. I will provide a full response to your questions later tonight Cheers