★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Would the App store go out of business if we could trade games?

08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Would the App store go out of business if we could trade games?

So, I look at all the threads and there are so many games that some people love and others hate, and we all love trying new games and such - I am wondering if it were legal - what would happen if we could treat the games like a "book" and be able to trade the game - rights and all...

I think that the App store would be in trouble for a number of months. Sure new games would come out - but those would be traded as well for old favorites, or overlooked games...

There would likely be a barter system before too long on what games were "worth" in the trade world and it would be funny that some of the piece of crap, short lived games might become collectible and worth quite a lot in trades...

Ridiculous thinking I know - but maybe fun to discuss?

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-26-2009, 07:05 PM
App Store and the developers WON'T make any money because if someone just keeps trading games over and over (like everyone else), then how are people supposed to purchase them?

I mean... Returning a game for the next 1 hour would be nice, but then there's no use for the Lite games.

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.

08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
So, in order for trading to work properly - you would need to have the digital rights transfer. I certainly don't advocate for being able to purchase a single copy, and then trade with thousands of people.

But, what about if you could trade like the book, or vinyl album- the actual physical copy of what you purchased - it comes off your machine, on to their machine - (boy this is a really bad example perhaps - ) but like the kids trade pokemon - you trade it - its gone...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-26-2009, 07:37 PM
LOL. With most games available for under 2$ and even the few highly priced ones at 10$, I seriously dont think there should be any need for trading them. And its different in case of iphone games compared to physical copy ones as we get updates for the games which add more gameplay/enhancements. So even if I dont like a game for some reason there`s always a possibility that an update will make them better. Lemme quote one of hodapp`s comments which make perfect sense here ....

Quote:
Seriously?

Seriously?
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
That would never happen, it's a
good idea though but Apples not gonna
let that happen. I just wish we were able
to sell the ones we don't want anymore
for half price or something like that. I have
a bunch of games thatci don't play anymore.

Food for thought but I doubt any changes
in that manner are coming any time soon.
08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes they would go out of business, or at least most of them. The app store is incredibley crowded with apps, hundreds of new ones coming in each day. They are having a tough enough time competing for people's money. Although a trade system does sound appealing to us consumers.
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
It's like stocks: only the first time a business sells them do they make money, after that, it's simply trading between others and the company gets no revenue from it.

In an already withering app store, a trading system definitely wouldn't work because one unit would go way farther, at the expense of the developer.

Interesting to think about, but not realistic.

/sarcasm

Last edited by CDubby94; 08-26-2009 at 08:54 PM.
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
No, because unlike 360 or PS3 games, alot of app store games aren't played much after anwhile.

Playing now: Defender Chronicles, Real Racing, Flight Control, and Knights Onrush
Waiting for: Nothing
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Condensation.
08-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhizzle View Post
No, because unlike 360 or PS3 games, alot of app store games aren't played much after anwhile.
That wouldn't go for people who haven't tried them yet.