★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Down 4 The Count (similar to Punch-Out)

08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Down 4 The Count (similar to Punch-Out)

Discovered this one on the TA's new app page, and I was intrigued by it looking very similar to Nintendo's Punch-Out, and indeed it is an arcade-like boxer as the latter. I've only played a little bit. Not bad, not bad at all. While the indiviual boxers may not feature as much different styles as in Nintendo's franchise, as you progress up the ladder the boxers still become quite a bit tougher to beat as they use more advanced attacks and block a great deal more.

As in Punch-Out you can tell when your opponent is ready to throw their punches as they will take a specific stance. I really like that you regain strength as long as you don't keep getting hit. Yet this also means the same holds true for your opponent, so it makes it more challenging to beat him.

The touch controls work really well. High and low block are fairly easy to pull off. I do manage to sometimes dogde though when I meant to throw a hook because my finger strayed to far to the sides. With practice that should be easy to overcome.

Yeah, this is a pretty entertaining knock-off. A buck well spent.

Last edited by Mister Mumbles; 08-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Ugh. I did search for it initially, but I guess I overlooked it on the listing. My bad. Please lock or nuke.