★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are 8x8 board games too small for you fingers?

08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Are 8x8 board games too small for you fingers?

Ok I need to get some opinions:

I'm developing a game that needs an 8x8 board (same layout as bejeweled, but different objective). My game doesn't really work well with a 7x7 board or less.

I really liked how the game worked in the simulator, but on the real iphone it seemed to me like the squares were too small, and it was easy to touch the wrong one.

Even though I'm making an iphone game, I never played iphone games, or even used an iphone before. So I don't know if the problem is the game or my lack of experience with the touchscreen.

So what do you think?

1. Do you think that cells are too small?

2. Do you think tapping twice or dragging is the easier way to move the pieces from square to square?
08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Try the lite version of 3D Chess. A few people didn't like it but it works.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316162380&mt=8

08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
how about a zooming function?
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guggug View Post
how about a zooming function?
I'm not quite sure what you have in mind. How would it work, what would it look like? Can you give more details?
08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Try our Othello game, flipNgive. I went with 3 board sizes... 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 and had good feedback on usability. We let the users either click on a square, or drag a piece to a square -- as long as you give good visual feedback on which square is active (blooms / highlights) there shouldn't be much problem with 7x7.

--yarri

Coming Soon: Pictahunt! (Turn-based Social Word Game)
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
In Sushi Mayhem I used a 7x6 board. The cell sizes I used seemed about just right to me. I find that the 8x8 size boards (such as PuzzleQuest) are a bit too small. It can still work if making a mistake is simply going to swap the pieces back to where they were... if its more fast paced or clicking on the wrong piece can get you into trouble I'd try to find another solution.
08-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I went with 8x8 for my game. (For obvious reasons .) ...and initially I also thought the grid was too small. The size of the pieces was a big complaint from my testers. Eventually I added the ability to see what piece you're moving, as well as highlighting where you're moving the piece to, and both seemed to help things quite a bit. Visual feedback is a good thing.

My games: ActionChess, Oppo-Citrus & Catchup
blog: http://chesstris.com/ twitter: livingtech GameCenter: grid
08-27-2009, 12:27 AM
What about some method to zoom in or pan around on the board? Might work for some games, chess for example...
08-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grid View Post
I went with 8x8 for my game. (For obvious reasons .) ...and initially I also thought the grid was too small. The size of the pieces was a big complaint from my testers. Eventually I added the ability to see what piece you're moving, as well as highlighting where you're moving the piece to, and both seemed to help things quite a bit. Visual feedback is a good thing.
i downloaded action chess and still found it difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSEJames View Post
What about some method to zoom in or pan around on the board? Might work for some games, chess for example...
Im not sure how to do that, my programming skills are fairly minimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarri View Post
Try our Othello game, flipNgive. I went with 3 board sizes... 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 and had good feedback on usability. We let the users either click on a square, or drag a piece to a square -- as long as you give good visual feedback on which square is active (blooms / highlights) there shouldn't be much problem with 7x7.

--yarri
going to 7x7 would severely, hurt my game. Im trying to avoid having to do that, but if thats the only way to make it playable I will.

Last edited by Misty; 08-27-2009 at 01:51 AM.
08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
If you look at Puzzlemaniak, some of the games work at 12x12! Older versions of the app had a zoom feature, which I used at first but soon dropped as it was easier to cope with the occasional mispress than fiddle with the zoom controls.

Of course, any Sudoku app has to be able to cope with 9x9.

Not sure if this would work for your app or not but you could also try making it so that when a touch goes down, a circle/cross or something is displayed around the cell you would be selecting and this selection tracks your finger until you let go. Only then would the selection happen. That sort of feedback can really help.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-