★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iDevice vs PSP/DS Games: Now and the Future

08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
iDevice vs PSP/DS Games: Now and the Future

At this point, do you feel iDevice games have surpassed the typical handheld consoles in terms of gameplay, intuitiveness, addictiveness, community and replayability?

Admittedly, the iDevice may have an unfair advantage when it comes to favoritism and bias to the handheld gamer, since it is more portable and more likely to be carried with you into the outer world (especially the kind that can make calls).

Even though, I have found myself more drawn to the more addictve, intuitive and instant experience that the iDevice offers. The brighter and higher resolution screen may also factor into my preference.

Granted the iPhone in its current form factor can never surpass a button-based handheld when it comes to controlling certain types of games, but it offers its own advantages. Because an input can be detected at any portion of the screen, this makes emulation of ports and the control interface in general highly customizable.

And what about 1-3 years in the future? How much further will iDevice gaming have evolved? Do you think developers will become more ambitious in presenting a richer experience when it comes to iPhone games or is the current model of the app store too inherently flawed to encourage this to happen?

In the end, this is why I own all 3 handhelds. But the iPhone has very quickly become my favorite.

Please offer your input.

Last edited by SpaceJunk; 08-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes, DS... I got bored of it fast... PSP... bored of it.. but iPhone.. just keeps going

Made that a while ago for AquaGlobs .

08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
I think the idevice has a good future... However not all games are that great ( FPS, 3rd person etc.)
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
As far as playing FPS's and adventure game I'll use my PS3 or Xbox or PC. But as far as creative fun pickup and play type games and puzzle games the iphone beats them all.
08-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I haven't played my ds in almost a year, but with the release of Scribblenauts, I think I will get back into the ds market. Still, the iDevice is really great.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
the fact is the DS and PSP dont get good games nearly as quickly and they dont update! the idevice has both, that is why it gets my attendion for longer than the other portable game systems

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV
08-26-2009, 10:07 PM
good points guys.
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceJunk View Post
At this point, do you feel iDevice games have surpassed the typical handheld consoles in terms of gameplay, intuitiveness, addictiveness, community and replayability?
Gameplay, yes. iPhone games may not have as much content as PSP games or a few DS games (yet), but the controls is what I love about this little device. As I say time and time again, the tilting and touching makes me feel like I'm playing with the game and not just playing it.

Quote:
Admittedly, the iDevice may have an unfair advantage when it comes to favoritism and bias to the handheld gamer, since it is more portable and more likely to be carried with you into the outer world (especially the kind that can make calls).
I definitely agree. Apple has waiting a little too long to jump on the handheld gaming train. The system has been making great improvements since the first year, but it still has ways to go before making a big splash. Apple needs to advertise it more as a gaming device.

Quote:
Even though, I have found myself more drawn to the more addictve, intuitive and instant experience that the iDevice offers. The brighter and higher resolution screen may also factor into my preference.
Same here, same here.

Quote:
Granted the iPhone in its current form factor can never surpass a button-based handheld when it comes to controlling certain types of games, but it offers its own advantages. Because an input can be detected at any portion of the screen, this makes emulation of ports and the control interface in general highly customizable.
I think that's a all a matter of perspective. I've played games of many different genres on this device and I really don't have problems with any of the control systems. Although, for those who do have problems, Apple is planning to help by making the gamer grip and a iController type thing you can plug the iPhone into. They're working on it since they realize the window.

Quote:
And what about 1-3 years in the future? How much further will iDevice gaming have evolved? Do you think developers will become more ambitious in presenting a richer experience when it comes to iPhone games or is the current model of the app store too inherently flawed to encourage this to happen?
Well, to answer that, I will simply ask: How long have you been using your iDevice for gaming? If you've been into it since a little while after the Appstore was released, then think about the games you were looking forward to getting last year. Now, think about the games you are looking forward to play today. Better much? Evolution in progress. With big companies considering the iPhone's/iPod Touch's power, console like game devs like Gameloft and EA games having a total showdown for the Appstore, creative companies like Hand Circus and Mountain Sheep producing new ideas, Illusionlabs' creativity and originality towards iGaming, Gamevil/Chillingo's various and high quality production line, and the high quality visuals of the upcoming Dexter game, you basically see that every area the iPod Touch needs in the ways of gaming is being fulfilled and is improving quite rapidly.

Quote:
In the end, this is why I own all 3 handhelds. But the iPhone has very quickly become my favorite.
I only have an iPod Touch 2G. I was considering getting a PSP, but since there are few games on PSP I'd actually want, and the physical buttons make things quite boring, and the hardware doesn't really seem to improve at all with each model, I'm going to just stick with this one.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2
08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I think the only reason why the iDevices are still up is because of the App Store and it's price... I mean.. Imagine games that costs $30+, and now PSPgo is coming out and PSP Mini's. So now PSP's are catching up to the iDevices, but then again the iDevices have a phone.

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsFall View Post
I think the only reason why the iDevices are still up is because of the App Store and it's price... I mean.. Imagine games that costs $30+, and now PSPgo is coming out and PSP Mini's. So now PSP's are catching up to the iDevices, but then again the iDevices have a phone.
One thing is for sure...Castle of Magic will play better on the Go.