Videos on IOS app store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheGreatWhiteApe, Jun 30, 2014.

1. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I heard a rumour that apple is going to introduce the ability to add a video to your app listing so users can watch your promo video.

I know this is already an option on Google Play and other stores. Do you guys think that this is a positive thing for developers, and if you develop on any other stores or use any other app stores do you think the addition of a video has made a difference for sales and for the user?

Also does anyone know any more about this new feature on the App store and when apple will make it live.

2. optimizemyapps.com

optimizemyapps.com Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    App Store Optimization Expert
    @TheGreatWhiteApe -
    The video feature is going to be available with the iOS 8 release coming this Fall
    A Video is definitly a positive for developers as:

- It allows developers to showcase their game play
    - Highlight features live in action
    - More engaging than static screenshots

If a user is given a option to watch a video than to read the app description, he will more than likely choose the video option. We humans are visual creatures

The only downside to video is the added expense to get a video done for the App. However, I think there are more positives than negatives to adding a video

3. TheGreatWhiteApe

Dec 13, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks @OptimizeMyApps.com, it might help serious developers and businesses stand out from the quick app flippers, which would be welcomed.

4. endodoug

endodoug Well-Known Member

Check out the video from WWDC , scroll down to Creating Great App Previews. Good stuff starts around 2:00 in.

I take 2 things away from it...
    1. They are strongly encouraging video previews.
    • Captured from your device & you need to have video previews for each supported device.

I think it's got to be worth the extra time to make a good preview.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    whats the best way to capture from the device?

6. endodoug

endodoug Well-Known Member

Connect your device to a Mac with a lightning cable and capture it in QuickTime. Hope it works that easily.

7. TheGreatWhiteApe

Dec 13, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Video Capture

To capture game play, I run the app via the simulator and then capture it with a program called iShowU HD. Works a treat, there are a stack of other great video capture options on the app store, all pretty cheap. iShowU is the best by far. To edit you can use quicktime pro, it you just want to do something simple, iMovie if you want to do it on the cheap or Final Cut Pro if you can afford to get a serious tool.

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    What exactly in quickTime allows you to do this?

I looked in the menu and can't see anything?

9. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Future feature

Recording video directly from an iOS device is coming in the next version of OS X and iOS 8.

Both OSs are available in beta now. So maybe someone with access to them can test the feature.

I look forward to trying it out and making a video preview.

Matthew

10. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #10 Touchmint, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Sorry double post.

11. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Yea I'm also looking forward to video previews.

I wonder where they will draw the line on actual gameplay.

A lot of screenshots now hardly have any actual shots of the app. For example they are surrounded by boarders have tons of text boxes or characters covering them.

I believe when the AppStore first opened up you could only have a pure screen shot no text or anything.

12. DyabitGames

DyabitGames Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Finally!

Wow, a bit late, but these are quite good news!

Now people with something to show can stand out, and recording directly from the device... that's awesome!! Right now I use Reflector, but I can't get smooth recordings. I really would like to show accurate gameplay videos of my games, all running at 60 fps on device, and 30 fps on recording...