★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Worthwhile Puzzle Games?

12-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Worthwhile Puzzle Games?

Well, if you're like me and you love a good puzzle game, you have to be overwhelmed by the glut of games that have erupted from the app store.

I'd like to see what you guys find to be worth paying a couple bucks or more.

Personally, I was a huge fan of Tetris Attack (also re-relased as pokemon puzzle club iirc) and Lumines, but haven't found anything near their level of brilliance in the store so far. Didn't really like auora feint (too laggy, and tilt mechanics killed it.)

What do you guys like/recommend?
12-16-2008, 01:23 AM
My favorites are:

Alio the Woodcutter
CubicMan Deluxe
Nurikabe Full
Subway Shuffle

12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
If you like Lumines you'd like Tatomic.
12-16-2008, 02:15 AM
I couldn't resist replying to this thread and to mention Dynamate. Admittedly I am biased on this one but it has been rated 9/10 from both Mobiriot.com and AppCraver.com.

There is also a free version for you to try so you have nothing to lose!

You can either search iTunes or follow links from my website. http://www.ivanmackintosh.com

Let me know what you think I am always open to feedback.

The Puzzle games on my iPhone are:
Sudoku Unlimited
I've also got Enigmo but whilst it is quite impressive I think it is overrated especially when they claim "Best Puzzle Game" and "Best iPhone Game"

12-16-2008, 02:36 AM
I spent a lot of time trying to complete the puzzles in the Masyu games.

Escalation Studios - Developer of such fine games as Eternal Fate, Splode, DOOM Resurrection, and Dr. Awesome
12-16-2008, 04:07 AM

I like a wide variety of puzzle games. Some have already been mentioned by previous posters.

Polyomino is a puzzle you might like to consider. It is like a Tanzen genre puzzle except you are playing with tetris like/shaped blocks. There are 30 puzzles with multiple solutions. Some of the puzzles have thousands of solutions. The game keeps track of which solutions you have achieved so you can try and work out the remaining solutions. It also includes a hint feature if you get stuck. It is fantastic value and can be very challenging.

12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Snow Mani is Polymino better than Phit? I think Phit is too hard. Phit you can't pick up the tetris like pieces to place you have to rearrange them. Seems like polymino you can just place wherever you wish. Is it insanely difficult?
12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I haven't played Phit

I haven't purchased Phit so I don't know if it is harder than Polyomino.

In Polyomino a miniature version of each piece is lined up on the borders of the screen. The shape of the boards vary throughout the game. The type and number of pieces also varies. You drag pieces as needed onto the game board where they become larger in size. You control what pieces are on the board. You can have more than one piece on the board. You can change your mind and drag pieces off the board and back to the border. Pieces can overlap each other and be rotated while not in a blank space on the board. You double tap on a piece to flip it. To rotate a piece you place and hold a finger on it and then "swipe" on the screen with another finger to rotate the piece. I think the only time you would have a problem with the pieces is if the swipe is too short and sharp. The pieces would then bounce and not rotate. But this is a very minor issue and all you need to do is swipe your finger for longer.

How hard you find Polyomino will depend on what approach you take to solving the puzzles. There are 30 different boards.
1) If you decided to solve each board only once then you would find the first few easy with the difficulty level increasing gradually until they become very challenging. Even if you decided that you would only solve each board once you would still have lots of gameplay and I think you would really get your money's worth.
2) If you decided to solve each board in every way it can be solved then you would be playing for a very, very, very long time! And you would find it very hard to come up with every legitimate solution for each board. If you manage to do this then you are a genius and I want to see the screen shots!
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Ivory Tiles looks excellent and I will be picking it up around Christmas
12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Ivory Tiles looks excellent and I will be picking it up around Christmas
+1 for Ivory Tiles.

Great Puzzle game.
I try not to play it as much for fear of beating it.
Great concept and amazing graphics.
Wish there were more puzzle games like this one.