★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Unept
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 7.8 MB
  • Version: 1.02
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: You are a bird with an unfortunate medical condition that causes you to spew lava balls with every flap of your wings. Tap to fly. Avoid enemies, spikes, and your own fiery spit balls in this neverending flying game.

- If you can tap on your phone, you can play.
- Enemies increase in difficulty over time.
- Unlock bonus gameplay & (sort of) helpful bonuses.
- Uncover the most epic story ever written by anyone.
- No, the creator has not yet reached the final enemy.
- No IAP, you get the full game experience.

(Works great on iPhone 4s, works OK on iPhone 4.)
07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
first of all, this is nothing like flappy bird, except the controls. When I played my first game I was surprised how unique the gameplay is. You control the bird by tapping the screen and he automatically spits lavaballs that come back to you, you have avoid those lavaballs and at the same time kill the birds that hunt you. It's free so give it a try, it's a great high-score game and I can't wait to unlock the 'Ice Cave' location! One suggestion to the dev, the game does not auto rotate, it would be cool to see this feature in the next update. Well done! Highly recommended

Game Center: sink_or_swim
07-02-2014, 10:19 PM
One of the best Flappy Bird-like! In fact, better the Flappy Bird, it's similar, but definitely not a clone.
07-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks to both of you for the good words about Lava Bird. I originally created a browser version for the Flappy Game Jam, to give a respectful nod to Dong Nguyen, and my game ended up being quite popular (it still gets played hundreds of times/day with zero marketing effort).

"Definitely not a clone," is what most people say about it. But still, it's a tap to fly game in a post-flappy bird world. So I imagine most people will roll their eyes and move on. But that's OK, I'm proud of how it turned out. Also, while the main gameplay is relatively unique, I think the 'Ice Cave' gameplay is even more so. Plus I made it super easy to unlock.

I usually strive to design games that feel more original, and I never had plans to do a "tap to fly" game. But I gave in to peers urging me to put it on iOS, and I wanted to try an iOS game anyway. So here it is.