Stream Schedule

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by jamescam, Jul 3, 2014.

1. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Im missing the Wednesday "What's New on the App Store" Twitch Streams. Are those coming back anytime soon?

2. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #2 HansKaosu, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    did they stop streaming while i was away?

summer vacation?

dont forget.. they where at e3

3. 2close4missiles

2close4missiles Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Jared's Personal Beard Comber
    On Jared's Chin
    I'm just gonna throw out the idea of a 24/7 mountain stream. You're welcome.

*Drops the mic*
    *Walks away*
    *comes back*
    *picks up the mic*
    *places it in the mic stand*
    *walks away*

4. xander134

xander134 Member

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    #4 xander134, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Bring back Twitch!

Eli,

As I'm sure you know from the numbers of viewers TouchArcade was getting on Twitch, many of us enjoyed the daily streams, but particularly the Wednesday streams.

Since E3, the streams have disappeared, almost entirely. Please bring them back, even if you personally can't host them. If necessary, perhaps another TA contributor could fill the role?

I'm sure I speak for many regular TA readers, when I implore you to bring back this great feature that has been sorely missed.

Cheers,
    Xander134

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The problem is the insane time investment for a very niche thing as far as traffic generation is concerned. It's easy to look at our streams and call them a success compared to the typical Twitch channel, but the numbers we were getting, while "good" for Twitch, were really, really bad compared to just posting another news story on TouchArcade.

A typical stream takes around 30 minutes to prepare for, and 30 minutes to do post-processing on. Pre and post on Wednesday streams are typically double that. I was spending +/- 15 hours a week on streaming related things, which was causing other areas of TouchArcade to suffer- Particularly as when you're streaming it requires 100% of your attention and I can't easily take time to respond to emails, writer questions, editing stories, publishing things, and stuff like that while streaming. Those things need to be done, so, my already full time job while streaming had turned in to an extra-full time job, and it'd become weirdly "normal" to work 12+ hour days to keep TouchArcade running how it should which was killing the rest of my life.

More importantly though, the bread and butter of our site is front page content, and when things grind to a halt because I'm streaming, it has an incredibly negative impact on overall site traffic as a steady flow of new stories is what keeps clicks coming to TouchArcade. Meanwhile, Twitch monetizes so poorly I wasn't even able to cover the costs of the games I was buying to stream, much less all the equipment and software I'd bought to make it all work. Additionally, using YouTube essentially as a dumping ground for stream videos has caused our subscriber rates to stagnate and overall views to go down since 3 hour long stream archives is about the exact opposite of what the YouTube crowd is looking for.

I know a lot of people really like the whole streaming thing, but my priority is being able to pay my writers and generally keep TouchArcade afloat. We're in the process of actively reevaluating what we're going to do with video content, but I'm not sure it'll involve Twitch just yet.

6. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #6 HansKaosu, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Whatever you do, please bring back the classic version of TA Plays. You dont have to do video content every day, keep it to interesting games or something like that.

Appreciate all your hard work.

7. xander134

xander134 Member

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    All above the above is COMPLETELY reasonable. Thanks for explaining the change in direction. Of course all TA readers would prefer that the site continue to post its amazing content, rather than bankrupting itself to provide a feature that most readers don't use. While I'll miss the Twitch stream and YouTube videos, there are lots of other great sources for gameplay videos.

Please keep doing what you're doing, and we'll look forward to more, quality content from Touch Arcade.

Thanks again for the thoughtful response.

Cheers,
    Xander134

8. weheartscott

weheartscott New Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I used to adore the classic style TA Plays videos. 10-15 minutes long, and only on games of interest. I stopped watching your videos as soon as you switched to streaming on Twitch, as watching 3+ hours of video is just not viable for people who work all day.

Anyway - a return to short, focused videos that I can catch up on in my dinner break would be a win for me.

9. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    ok, I somehow missed your post explaining why you had to stop twitching.
    All your arguments are valid and the time investment required was obviously nuts when you already had your plate full.

Maybe some of your writers could be interested in propping up their online notoriety while showing us up the games they reviewed, on a voluntary basis? I could see a weekly or monthly feature with that. I guess the hardware requirements may be an obstacle though.

Anyhow, it was a crazy experiment to stream daily, but I'm sure many of us enjoyed it.
    Once a week would have been enough honestly :)
    Thks and keep up the good work at TA.

10. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I very much appreciate the reply and the explanation, I just wish it had been communicated to us sooner. I am one of the people who actually spent money subscribing to your stream on Twitch, hoping to support you and generate incentive to spend more time streaming. I understand it was not as monetarily successful as you hoped, but it isn't fair to those of us who committed money to just stop streaming with no explanation or warning. I have obviously cancelled my subscription by now, but I feel taken advantage of for most of the summer months while I waited in vain for the stream to come back (April through September).

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Maybe contact Twitch for a refund? I don't have any control over any of that. I'm sorry you think me not streaming isn't fair. :(