★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

any good side scrollers on the app store?!

08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 210
any good side scrollers on the app store?!

I want to add some solid side scrollers to my game collection and was hoping to get some recommendations from the TA community. any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
#2
Sub hunt is a side scroller, sort of.. Do you consider 1942 a side scroller? If so then this is one too.

08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 704
Inkvaders

Inkvaders is a good side scroller If you are looking for one
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonine View Post
Inkvaders is a good side scroller If you are looking for one
Spy Bot Chronicles
Castle of Magic
Zombieville
Inkvaders

are all studs.
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
#5
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 9,125
Helion

One of the best games ever.

back
08-28-2009, 06:56 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 704
A revolutionary side scroller

This will probably spark a lot of controversy, but in my opinion I think that gamelofts Hero Of Sparta is essentially just a side scroller that goes against the two dimensional convention of side scrollers and is really revolutionary.

For those of you who have the game and are thinking WTF is this guy on about? Think about it. On each level there is only really one path which you can go along and as you go along the path you kill enemies that are blocking your way and gain experience which you use to upgrade weapons (the equivalent of money in convention games of the genre) you also gain helth and energy which helps you perform more pwerful attacks.
Although I believe this is essantially a side scroller, it is definitely the most unique one that I know of on the app store. If you are looking for just another same old side scroller then this is not for you, but if you want to experience a completely different take on the genre, then you should get Hero of Sparta.
08-28-2009, 07:04 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonine View Post
This will probably spark a lot of controversy, but in my opinion I think that gamelofts Hero Of Sparta is essentially just a side scroller that goes against the two dimensional convention of side scrollers and is really revolutionary.

For those of you who have the game and are thinking WTF is this guy on about? Think about it. On each level there is only really one path which you can go along and as you go along the path you kill enemies that are blocking your way and gain experience which you use to upgrade weapons (the equivalent of money in convention games of the genre) you also gain helth and energy which helps you perform more pwerful attacks.
Although I believe this is essantially a side scroller, it is definitely the most unique one that I know of on the app store. If you are looking for just another same old side scroller then this is not for you, but if you want to experience a completely different take on the genre, then you should get Hero of Sparta.
I'd say it's a fix-pathed adventure game, but a side scroller?......

Gamertag - dominator246
08-28-2009, 07:23 PM
#8
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator246 View Post
I'd say it's a fix-pathed adventure game, but a side scroller?......
Isn't a fixed-path adventure game just a three-dimensional side scroller?
08-28-2009, 08:47 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Guest)
Posts: 85
Unless you're hoping to get your ass beat by mutants, don't get abuse. Nothing wrong with the controls or the gameplay; it's actually quite fun... but the difficulty is such that in certain areas at easy mode you're comparing to playing nethack with a tourist.

I'd hate to think how bad it is on normal.

--Note: by this I mean Abuse Classic, which is the one currently in the app store.

Last edited by Link6746; 08-28-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correction
08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,096
Inkvaders is the best i have got out of Zombieville Inkvaders and Mummy's Revenge.