★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"The Making Of Princess Birthday Party Puzzles" blog post

07-07-2014, 10:30 PM
"The Making Of Princess Birthday Party Puzzles" blog post

hey everyone!
since my new app was just released today i wanted to share a little more about it beyond "hey check out my new app"

so i did a writeup of how i created the animated art for Princess Birthday Party Puzzles- it's got a lot of image examples and shows how i did the art. here is the link: http://lauratallardy.com/the-making-...uzzles/?ref=ta

i also made a lot of animated gifs for the post, lol.

whee!

app download link

thanks for reading!
07-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing this! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the hard work that went into your app, and the art has a great vintage storybook charm to it.

Also, the horse leg gif is absolutely priceless.

07-08-2014, 06:33 AM
That is some impressive work. I really hope the app does well. I don't have much experience in the apps for kids area, so would be really interested if you can post a bit later with how well it does.

And what tools do you use for the animation?
07-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolvingDoor View Post

I need a new cup of coffee!

Really enjoyed the post.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolvingDoor View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing this! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the hard work that went into your app, and the art has a great vintage storybook charm to it.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to share some of this behind the scene stuff- it's a shame none of the sketches or anything gets into the app.

Except for the horse leg. It's a good thing that one didn't make it in. XD

When the leg thing started happening I just had to get up and leave the computer for a while. I was like ooooook.... break time!! :P
07-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
That is some impressive work. I really hope the app does well. I don't have much experience in the apps for kids area, so would be really interested if you can post a bit later with how well it does.

And what tools do you use for the animation?
Hey OnlyJoe,
Thanks for the compliments & encouragement! Fingers crossed it does well too- it was kind of a gamble sinking so much time into it but once I was halfway in I didn't want to abandon all the work... whatevs. It's out now, finally

Kids apps are really fun- there's a lot of extra safety requirements and regulations that apply to kids apps that dont apply to general audience apps, so you have to be aware of those. But it's a lot more fun in my opinion!! I love making up the worlds and bringing them to life with children's characters and making everything really friendly and fun and safe.
#thinking of the children

i used spine for this- photoshop to create all the art and then esoteric software's Spine program to make the little skeletons and do the animations. it has a bit of a learning curve but can do a lot of cool stuff.
07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
I need a new cup of coffee!

Really enjoyed the post.
Haha, I did by that point too x_x

Thank you!