★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Kachina is a tactical tile game based on the traditions of the Hopi Native American tribe.
Learn how to play Kachina:
http://www.gouramigames.com/kachina/

Use the Kachina tiles to build rows and columns, always trying to have the highest numbered tile in each line. As new tiles are played, the special abilities of the Kachina kick in, changing the very nature of the game.

Each round you place one of your limited number of Kachina tiles, trying to dominate the largest possible area of the board. In the Hopi tradition, the world is ruled by kachinas (or spirits) of many different types. Children of the tribe learn about these different spirits through the use of Kachina dolls. To illustrate the tension of different spirits in the world, the tribal elders create games of kachinas vying for dominance.

This game includes modes to play against up to 4 other Computer AI players, or allow you and some friends to play each other by handing off the device.

Original board game by Bucephalus.com
08-27-2009, 09:59 PM
This looks very interesting. To bad there's no money in the TOFTT account.

08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I like the art work, just wish I knew more of what kind of game it was. I think I will keep my eye on it, work all weekend so maybe I'll check it out next week. If anyone picks it up I'd like to hear some impressions, pls/thx.
08-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Very interesting. At first I thought it was like Kingdom's but not so much. Here is a video review.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Basically you score points by having dominance which can be the highest number in that row and/or column. The twist comes in each of the tiles have special abilities. Gonna look into this a bit more this might be up my alley.
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
^ Please let us know what you think of the game. I trust your reviews and have enjoyed many of the games you've recommended in the past.

plus+ scoreloop crystal : looby
agon openfeint gamecenter: loobylibby
08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Kachina Solo for iPhone and iPod Touch just release today. Get it now before the update for multiple players.
Well that's great it'll get support for multiple players but always leaves you wondering is that local idevice or bluetooth or internet? No idea. I think I'll wait to see on that but still waiting for a price drop.

Here is photo of game designer of Kachina (on left) and his wife (on right) with Dr. Knizia (middle) buying his game at a game convention.
08-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Does it save on exit? Probably kind of important for a game like this, assuming that the games take over 5 min from start to finish.
08-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Very interesting. At first I thought it was like Kingdom's but not so much. Here is a video review.

Basically you score points by having dominance which can be the highest number in that row and/or column. The twist comes in each of the tiles have special abilities. Gonna look into this a bit more this might be up my alley.
Joe's wife is hot. I like her in the Hanto video review
Ok, Im getting this....
08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Ah... I just bought this expecting it to be a 2 player thing - me vs CPU but it's actually a kind of Patience by the looks of things.

Also, can't find a way to return to the menu from the game except by restarting an app - anyone found out if there's a way to do this?

Cheers,

Jamie.
08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Ok this stinks without 2 players.

The game was designed as a game for 2-5 players and as such it's probably pretty good.

This though is some kind of bastardization of the original concept, making it in to a kind of solitaire game. It's just you trying to lay the pieces out to maximize your score. No AI to play against or anything.

I was completely mislead - it looks like a board game, not a solitaire. Definitely a big disappointment for me.

Jamie.