★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dr. Awesome Oversights

12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Dr. Awesome Oversights

I am starting my own iphone game review blog! It's coming soon! I am planning on doing real in depth reviews. Dr. Awesome is the first one I am doing and I have some questions I can't answer, I was hoping someone here could shine some light on them.

Why is there no option for turning your personal contact list off as the patient list. To me this just seems like a huge oversight. It's not like it's hard to program a random name generator is it?

Along the same lines what happens if you are a PC user with an iTouch who has no contacts in the phone at all? How does Dr Awesome cope with that?

What happens if your contact list is very short, like only 6-10 names and you cure all 6-10 in the game? Do they begin looping?

Is NGmoco planning on integrating your contacts pictures into the game? They have these photo placeholders in the patient screen, and I have all my photos in the phone. If it can take a name out of my contact list why can't it take the attached photo?
12-16-2008, 10:59 AM
LOVE this game!

I can answer one or two of the questions:

If you do not have contacts in your address book, Dr. Awesome will use fictional names. So that would apply if you run out of names. I have run out of names and it is now using fictional names.

I like the use of the contacts, however I do not see a place to turn that option off. I think using the contacts provides some real humor to the game.

12-16-2008, 10:59 AM
first ipod touches do have contact lists.... anyway it just makes up names... i only have two people in mine and then made up names after those two.. Hope this helps
12-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I know they HAVE the list. But some people (usually PC users) don't have an address book to sync with, and some people just don't use the contact list.

Well what the heck, if they CAN generate random names why isn't it optional? This is most definitely a complete oversight.

I love this game also, and I enjoy the contact list use. But I can see how it would make some people a little squeamish in a superstitious kind of way. It seems a pretty obvious option to put into the game.
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
I know they HAVE the list. But some people (usually PC users) don't have an address book to sync with, and some people just don't use the contact list.

Well what the heck, if they CAN generate random names why isn't it optional? This is most definitely a complete oversight.

I love this game also, and I enjoy the contact list use. But I can see how it would make some people a little squeamish in a superstitious kind of way. It seems a pretty obvious option to put into the game.
It's a way to make the game more personal, that's all.

Dropship does the same thing

You can also force dr.awesome to generate a fictitious name. Just deny a patient you don't want.
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
the best part about playing Dr. Awesome....

I 'accidentally' killed my boss the other day. oops.
12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by photodart View Post

Haha, me too!... Then my brother, cousin and several colleagues!
12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by photodart View Post

I just did the same to my ex