Universal Blood Bros Arcade Machine (Hidden emulator?)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tommi8080, Jul 11, 2014.

1. tommi8080

tommi8080 Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just took a look, its not an authorised port as it seems to be by an indie dev. The buttons look familiar to MAME, but is this really a 'one game' app or something else ? NOT saying it is, i dont know anything about this at all. Suppose people will have to wait as once reviews come flooding in you can normally tell if its something else or not

Someone has to spend 2 dollars to take that risk !!

3. tommi8080

tommi8080 Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Gridlee was -apparently- a single game too.
    Maybe...

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah maybe i'm reading too much into it. Indie dev seems to be behind it (only his second game on the app store), perhaps his developer fee is up and hes not going to renew it and so has added this. Ahhhhh i'll take one for the team, give me a few mins

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #5 psj3809, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Well i ran the game, looked so so (As i remember you had to run the gridlee game before so it sets up the directories)

I then looked into iFunbox and i can see a lot of folders (artwork/roms/samples/) which to me looks like MAME etc, seems to have all the same folders as Gridlee (apart from 'cheats').

I closed down the app properly after adding some roms via iFunbox

Restarted BloodBros BUT its still the same game. I'm pressing combination of buttons etc to try and get to some sort of hidden menu but nothing.

Perhaps later today we'll read about it more on sites, i 'think' its a MAME game but i cant seem to get the games listed

Once more sites hear about this and someone 'cracks' the combination to activate MAME i'm sure it'll get taken down very quickly. So its a risk, buy it now before its banned, yet i'm not sure of the combination !

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Damn! Even when I delete the Blood Brothers rom and add in, say Donkey Kong, I still get Blood Brothers. I'll keep trying though.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i reckon its just a combination. I tried contacting the dev on his tumblr site, see if he gets back to me.

The way it has the structure i'm certain means its a MAME emulator, just trying to figure the combination !

8. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep - when I saw the file structure it was like bumping into an old friend - granted, this one doesn't remember who I am yet!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've already got Gridlee but i'm interested to know if this is a better version, if it allows more games etc.

Searched on the net, all quiet on other sites regarding this app. I cant believe its 'locked' down due to the folder structure we can see

10. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep, I'm just dying to have a crack at Defender (the best game of all time, including the future) with an MFi controller.

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Speaking of gridlee, I asked seleuco the dev if he had plans to optimise & add 64-bit support to the next mame4ios reloaded. He said he would like to update it. He said maybe later this year.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Good stuff - this one has seleuco's instructions and everything in it and uses the same romset as gridlee .139u1 or something but I can just can't figure out how to get rid of blood bros and get to the mame page. Not spent too much time on it I have to say but it's deffo iMame. I'm just not savvy enough to get the rom menu up. Doesn't help that I'm using a new mac instead of PC now and iExplorer and Finder aren't as user friendly as iExplorer and Explorer on the PC. Someone cleverer than me will get it, I'm sure.

13. jorgemoag

jorgemoag Well-Known Member

It's interesting. I found the 'help.html' file from seluco's project in this game. However, the seluco's project has neither 64-bit support nor MFi compatible, whereas this game really does. It seems a new MAME compiled.

14. matt_5260

matt_5260 Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I'll keep clicking around random button combinations to figure out the trick to getting into the rom menu. It looks like this has promise

15. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I admire your resourcefulness! :) :) :)

16. tommi8080

tommi8080 Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    any news? It seems it has same source code of Gridlee plus mfi support and multiplayer.

17. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Can't get to my mac today but for the life of me I couldn't get rid of blood bros yesterday.

18. matt_5260

matt_5260 Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Any updates? It's still in the App Store FWIW

19. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I'm very interested to see if this is what everybody thinks it is too? I did an update and lost my gridlee :-/(lost everything for that matter)
    Anyways I'm still searching for a new good arcade emulator. I had my gridlee packed full of great games and it was super fun playing in my icade jr.
    Besides people thinking this could be the next emu, how is the actual game that we are buying here? It looks like some old school classic goodness from what I could see on YouTube. I never heard of blood bros. I'm thinking of DL just because the arcade looks fun. Also wonder if it'll work w icade jr. ? Any help would be appreciated :)

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I deleted the bloodbros.zip in the roms folder. But every time the game starts a new copy appears. It's copied from the main folder as there's another bloodbros.zip there

When I delete that one the game crashes after the loading animation

Sill can't work out how to get other games to play. I emailed the dev but nothing. Found his site after googling as the contact support link for the game doesn't work. Still a mystery!