★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Vertical vs. Horizontal Shmups/STG...which do you like better?

View Poll Results: Vertical Shmup or Horizontal Shmup
Vertical shmup ex. Sky Force 2014, Raiden, Dodonpachi 15 75.00%
Horizontal shmup ex. Sine Mora, Dariusburst, Death Smiles 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll
07-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Vertical vs. Horizontal Shmups/STG...which do you like better?

Which do you prefer overall to play for Shmups/STG games. Vertical shooters like Raiden, Sky Force, Phoenix, Galaga, Galaxian, Dodonpachi, etc. or do you prefer horizontal shooters like Sine Mora, Dariusburst, Defender, Gradius, Death Smiles, Vritra, Toon Shooters etc.

Thoughts? Discuss....vertical shmups versus horizontal shmups on iOS.
07-13-2014, 01:14 PM
I prefer vertical shmups. Portriait orientation feels natural and more comfortable to me.
The biggest reason, though, is that controls for vertical shmups have been perfected (relative touch) by games like rRootage, Phoenix HD, and Danmaku Unlimited 2. And while there are some horizontal shooters that have excellent control schemes, I'm never fully comfortable with them. Hard to explain. My thumbs either obscure some of the action on-screen or I'm forced to handle movement with less comfortable/confident digits.

Last edited by Guise; 07-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.

07-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Pretty much what Guise said.
I like horizontal with iCade (Defender is still my favourite shooter after 32 year) and Controllers though.
07-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Vertical, for reasons more or less similar to Guise's. But im kinda sad that Phoenix HD isnt on the examples on the poll choices. :P

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
07-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Vertical, for reasons more or less similar to Guise's. But im kinda sad that Phoenix HD isnt on the examples on the poll choices. :P
I'm sorry.

I created the poll after the fact. If I could edit the poll I would add Phoenix HD. That being said I have Phoenix HD on all my idevices.
12-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
Pretty much what Guise said.
I like horizontal with iCade (Defender is still my favourite shooter after 32 year) and Controllers though.
How does Defender play using the iCade? I had an iCade for a couple of hours before it crapped out and stopped working. I didn't play Defender using it.

I played the Raiden games and both R-Type and R-Type II using the iCade and they worked flawlessly using the iCade. Just wondering how good Defender is using the iCade. I love Defender such a great game.
12-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Hannahan View Post
How does Defender play using the iCade? I had an iCade for a couple of hours before it crapped out and stopped working. I didn't play Defender using it.

I played the Raiden games and both R-Type and R-Type II using the iCade and they worked flawlessly using the iCade. Just wondering how good Defender is using the iCade. I love Defender such a great game.
Honestly - absolutely perfect. On iMame, Gridlee or Midway Arcade all with iCade. The sounds, speed and difficulty still make it the best game I have ever played and probably ever will play.
12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Thiz iz where i miss Brother Connector. I the precision of iCade iz beautifully flawless for Shumps 7 Bullet Curtainz. Nice to see Vritra and Toon Shooters in your examples. ThnX for thiz thread. DariusBurst/Tengai!!!😃

Last edited by 7lilwhitewolf7; 12-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.
12-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Horizontal 'just' for me.

i LOVE my iCade, specially with Gridlee (MAME)

So many great shooters, the classic horizontal games like R-Type/Gradius and then the classic vertical shooters as well.
12-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Historically, I preferred horizontal. That said, vertical works much better on a touchscreen.