★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft's games coming to PSP

08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Señor Member [Original Poster]
Gameloft's games coming to PSP

http://twitter.com/Gameloft

Gameloft's Hero of Sparta, Let's Golf!, Real Football, Asphalt 5 and UNO are coming to the PSP and PSP Go!

This is a suprising piece of news, as the PSP already has the 'original' games which gameloft based their games on.
Hero of Sparta - God of War
Real Football - Fifa series
Asphalt 5 - Plenty of racing gams on PSP, Gran Turismo is coming soon
UNO -?

I wonder how Apple feels?

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 08-28-2009 at 09:41 AM.
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
They haven't betrayed them. They're just trying to make some money.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy

08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Reaper View Post
They haven't betrayed them. They're just trying to make some money.
lol, I was just joking.
I like gameloft, they are by far my favourite developer on the App Store.

Hakuna Matata
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't think Apple will feel too worried. Gameloft games are good for the iPhone but might be terrible on the PSP, just look at Asphalt Urban GT released for the PSP (the graphics looks like the ones from Asphalt 4); compare it to Burnout Legends. Gameloft obviously didn't utilize the full potential of the PSP hardware. I believe the graphics are acceptable for an iPhone game but not for a PSP game. This is of course, assuming they just do a simple port without improving anything. Besides, why get HoS & Real Soccer as you have stated above when you can get better stuff (God Of War & FIFA series). Though it'll be cheaper, you probably expect to buy $30 games when you buy a PSP. However, it'll be intresting to see UNO, the PSP is not really 'strong' in the casual games department - which is why I have an iPod touch Anyway, I don't think it'll do too well but hey, who knows? Only time will tell. But if it fails, maybe Gameloft should stick to mobile gaming.

-Masmo

10chars
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
The announcement that some of Gameloft's library will be ported to the PSPGo has already got me rethinking future purchases for the iphone. I was thinking that Sandstorm was an automatic first day purchase. But won't it likely be ported to the PSP with better controls and graphics? I'll still probably get it for the iphone because it's the portable device I have with me all the time, but who knows?
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
I don't think Apple will feel too worried. Gameloft games are good for the iPhone but might be terrible on the PSP, just look at Asphalt Urban GT released for the PSP (the graphics looks like the ones from Asphalt 4); compare it to Burnout Legends. Gameloft obviously didn't utilize the full potential of the PSP hardware. I believe the graphics are acceptable for an iPhone game but not for a PSP game. This is of course, assuming they just do a simple port without improving anything. Besides, why get HoS & Real Soccer as you have stated above when you can get better stuff (God Of War & FIFA series). Though it'll be cheaper, you probably expect to buy $30 games when you buy a PSP. However, it'll be intresting to see UNO, the PSP is not really 'strong' in the casual games department - which is why I have an iPod touch Anyway, I don't think it'll do too well but hey, who knows? Only time will tell. But if it fails, maybe Gameloft should stick to mobile gaming.

-Masmo
Yeah, I agree.
Apple shouldn't be worried at all, although they may be slightly pissed off.
I suppose this is good news. This should mean that Gameloft makes more money, and with more money, they will be able to make better games for the iPhone.

I am wondering how this will affect gaming on the PSP. It will be interesting to see what will happen when people see that they can get a near-psp level quality game for a lower price.
This is actually a pretty good idea of gameloft's though, they should make heaps of money from this, providing they keep their prices low (which I am sure they will do). PSP gamers are used to buying £30 games, and when they see a game such as HoS selling for under 1/4 of the price they are bound to give in (I know I would, If I still had used my PSP and didn't have an iPhone).

I am also interested in how they are going to port these games (3D ones in particular). The PSP has a slightly larger screen which could mean, lower quality stretched out graphics, if it is a straight port (please correct me if I am wrong, I have hardly any computing/programming knowledge/skill).

And then there is the question of controls.
How are they going to work?
It will be interesting to how HoS and Real Football/Soccer run using the analogue stick (I am asuming that they will). Particulary Real Football, as the 'virtual analogue stick' was actually a 8 direction D-pad.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas...?

Hakuna Matata
08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I want to play iPhone games on my iphone and psp games on my psp!
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipressbuttons View Post
I want to play iPhone games on my iphone and psp games on my psp!
Yeah, lol.
It does get kind of annoying when games keep on getting ported over, particulary if they are not coming to your preferred device (we need some PSP games to come to the iPhone, or at least some PSP game clones by gameloft to come to the iPhone )

Hakuna Matata
08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonapete View Post
I was thinking that Sandstorm was an automatic first day purchase. But won't it likely be ported to the PSP with better controls and graphics? I'll still probably get it for the iphone because it's the portable device I have with me all the time, but who knows?
What makes you think a PSP version of Sandstorm would control better? I have yet to play a fps on PSP (or DS for that matter) that has even adequate controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Yeah, lol.
It does get kind of annoying when games keep on getting ported over, particulary if they are not coming to your preferred device (we need some PSP games to come to the iPhone, or at least some PSP game clones by gameloft to come to the iPhone )
Well, from what Kotaku has to say, these are simply ports of the iPhone versions, just with remapped controls and maybe some graphical tweaks here and there. What will be interesting to see is what price they launch at.

And IGN has some interesting thoughts about PSP Minis and iPhone games being developed with both platforms in mind. This is good because a company like Gameloft can spread the cost of development further meaning bigger budgets, but bad because unique features of both platforms may not be used.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=nizy;459100]What makes you think a PSP version of Sandstorm would control better? I have yet to play a fps on PSP (or DS for that matter) that has even adequate controls.

Yep, you're right that FPS controlls on PSP and DS are poor, but I guess having the physical control pad and buttons are preferable to me than touch controls. Wolfenstein on the iphone has the best controls for a portable FPS that I have played, but there was no need to look up in that game. I'm hoping that the Duke Nukem update shows me how good a FPS can control on the iphone.