★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Wacky Dragons - The game that brings depth to the helicopter genre

07-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Wacky Dragons - The game that brings depth to the helicopter genre

Hi guys and girls!

We have decided to relaunch our game Wacky Dragons with huge changes to how the game works, we have especially spent a lot of time tweaking the controls to make sure that the challenge only is in the level design!

We have also changed the economy of the game, making it way easier to unlock content by playing and we have added treasure chests that you can gain by completing the challenges while you play.

There are 7 dragons in the game and each have their own unique ability that helps them on their journey towards a new highscore!

Tap and hold the right side of the screen to fly, tap the left side to use your ability

We are eager for your opinion on it and you can find it right here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wacky-dragons/id578560684?l=da&ls=1&mt=8

Peter
Pixeleap

Last edited by Pixeleap; 07-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.
07-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixeleap View Post
If you have given the game a go we would love your feedback, especially on the controls as we worked really hard on them and we want to make sure we got them just right, so any impressions really helps us make the game better!

Thanks!

Peter
Just tried it. The controls are not good. Tapping to fly doesn't work in a logical way. Tapping as fast as possible won't make the dragon go higher or even keep the dragon going straight. You'll go straight down and crash. You have to tap.....tap.....tap.....tap to stay in a straight line. Doesn't feel good at all.
07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysmash View Post
Just tried it. The controls are not good. Tapping to fly doesn't work in a logical way. Tapping as fast as possible won't make the dragon go higher or even keep the dragon going straight. You'll go straight down and crash. You have to tap.....tap.....tap.....tap to stay in a straight line. Doesn't feel good at all.
Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for trying it out, have you tried holding for a very brief moment and then letting go, like "long taps" I think that will work the best, if it is not communicated clearly in the tutorial, I will get right on it!

Thanks
Peter
07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixeleap View Post
Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for trying it out, have you tried holding for a very brief moment and then letting go, like "long taps" I think that will work the best, if it is not communicated clearly in the tutorial, I will get right on it!

Thanks
Peter
Yes, that's what I eventually figured out to do. It isn't communicated to fly that way and it goes against most typical helicopter-style games.
07-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysmash View Post
Yes, that's what I eventually figured out to do. It isn't communicated to fly that way and it goes against most typical helicopter-style games.
It is a good point, we experiented a lot with using just tap controls and tap controls ala the ones from flappy bird, but the problem always ended up being that because of the complexity of the level design, you would die to often in narrow places, so we went for more control with the tap-hold-release controls.

We will have to find a way to get that more across I guess, if you happen to come up with ideas for it, feel free to share

Peter