Universal Drift'n'Drive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gimblll, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimblll

gimblll Well-Known Member

#1 gimblll, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    Update: Trailer Available!

http://www.appspy.com/feature/9202/hands-on-with-driftndrive-the-top-down-arcade-racer-with-four-person-local-splitscreen-multiplayer

--- App Description

Follow your destiny to become the ultimate racing driver!

Drift'n'Drive is a vertically scrolling top-down racing game with lots of challenge and replayability. Progress through the career mode racing challenges, get to the top of leaderboards in time attack mode or challenge your friends to a local split screen multiplayer tournament!

Features:

- Career Mode: Win races against tough AI opponents in increasingly difficult racing series, upgrade your car to the max and become the top racer on earth!
    - Time Attack: Attack global top leaderboard times or win bragging rights against friends!
    - Local multiplayer: Play against friends in split screen multiplayer tournament mode (2-4 players)!
    - Silky smooth 60fps gameplay!
    - Full Game Center support for leaderboards and achievements
    - Original soundtrack by Tommy Baynen

--- Older introduction post

Hello everyone, here's a little introduction of the latest game I'm developing.

Drift'n'Drive is a vertically scrolling, top down racing game. You race on randomly generated tracks of increasing difficulty against AI racers and upgrade parts to build faster and more powerful car as you go. My general aim is to keep the races relatively short and replayability high so you can play it in short sessions on your phone or whatever. It also has a time attack mode and a local split screen multiplayer mode.

I'm doing all the work (except music and sound effects) myself like in my previous games. If you want to follow development more closely, I'm on Twitter with as gimblll. I've posted some earlier in-progress shots there too if you want to see a more.

And onwards to the gif!

[​IMG]

2. Philipp_S

Philipp_S Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    game developer
    Looks neat. Are those tracks endless with time limits that you extend via checkpoints, or are they of finite length?

3. gimblll

Thanks! All tracks have a finite length.

4. gimblll

5. FGNFC

FGNFC Active Member

May 18, 2014
    looks very interesting

what's main goal for the game?
    controll only one car?

how does it work?
    tilt system?

6. gimblll

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I didn't notice new posts. But anyway, you control the car by pressing on the left or right side of the screen. The car accelerates automatically and has no breaks. :) I tried tilt control too, but it was too difficult to drive with that. I might include it as an option though if someone really wants it.

There are 3 modes in the game. The career mode, where your objective is to win the championship by winning different races and upgrading your car etc. Then there's a time attack mode with leaderboards. And then there's a split screen multiplayer mode where you can race tournaments against your friends.

I just did a new quick Vine that quickly shows what the game is about. :) https://twitter.com/gimblll/status/510332014646796288

7. gimblll

Trailer available now! I hope you like it!

Release date should be 30.10.2014, barring any unexpected happenings.

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Cool! The cars look very similar. Can I change the color or something like that? Are there power ups? Does it have IAPs? How much will it cost?

By the way, you guys sould check one of his other games called Cosmic Mechanic. One of my favorite physics based puzzler.

9. gimblll

The AI cars are blue and yours is orange, there's no trouble telling them apart on a proper screen, the videos and the gif blur them a bit so it's a bit more confusing. Anyway, you can buy new paintjobs from the "garage/shop" in career mode. There are no on-track powerups (I tried to focus on pure racing), but there is a shop in career mode where you upgrade your car by buing different parts to it.

And there is no IAP in this game, it's a full game with one time purchase. It will be "Tier 2" pricing, which is €1.79/ $1.99 / £1.49.

10. SuminellStudios

SuminellStudios Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    This looks very nice. Looking forward to giving it a play!

Suminell.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Just saw an article about this game on AppSpy. It looks really sweet, I can't wait to buy it :)

12. gimblll

Thanks, I hope you'll like it! I'm glad that at least someone has noticed my little game in the app flood of today. :)

13. gimblll

14. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  15. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #15 Pipipitchu, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    I thought it was going to be released today. This is looking like the weakest week of the year, great day to release a game. Next week there will be big releases, I wouldn't recommend you to fight for a spot light with Sailor's Dream.

16. gimblll

It's out tomorrow. (or later today, depending on how the App Store happens to process it through)

17. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I hope it's soon enough to get in the "Releases of the Week" lists. Is it out on NZ already? Or will it be simultaneously everywhere?

18. gimblll

#18 gimblll, Oct 29, 2014
    I flagged it as available from Apple's developer site about 3-4 hours ago, so it depends on when the shops are refreshed.

Now that I checked, it actually seems already to be available (at least in US and Finland). :) https://itunes.apple.com/app/driftndrive/id900003063

19. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #19 Pipipitchu, Oct 29, 2014