Apple refund policy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi all.

Okay before I start I want to make it clear I'm not moaning or complaining, I'm just puzzled/curious and would like clarification.

I bought Dragon Quest VIII when it hit the App Store but almost immediately I had huge issues with controlling the camera, so the £14 game has had like 2-3 hours total put into it. Fair enough

Then I buy Monster Hunter using my last App Store credit and again I have serious issues with the camera (mainly due to me and my disabilities, not bad programming) and after playing the game and doing 6-7 of the 2 star quests I hit a point where I cannot continue (tried over 200 times.. No really)

So with things being very tight atm I applied to apple for a refund on MH because I can't play it anymore. (Worth a try huh?)

I got a email which told me the refund was refused. Okay, fair enough.

But what bugs me is my friend downloaded DQVIII and MHFU and indeed did get refunds for BOTH games. (I didn't believe him, so he showed me the emails) and what's more.. He still has both games installed on his ipad and plays them!!

I'm just curious about what is a valid reason for a refund and what is not. He said both times he emailed apple and said the game wasn't what he expected and he got refunded.

I'm not bitter, just confused.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I have no idea what their policy is as it seems experience on refunds vary from person to person.

I don't think it's right that that the refunded app can be kept and it's also possible to get the updates too.

I was refunded for a game once when I pointed out it was in the wrong category on the store, it was a great game, just not suitable for 8 year olds as the App Store said. At no point in my contact with apple did I ask for a refund, they just did it.

I requested one for another game that didn't work, it was around a year ago it was listed as supported for my device but then dev said it wasn't after I purchased, I was refunded for that and the game has recently been fixed but I'm unable to repurchase as it's in my purchase history and my conscious won't let me reinstall it as I was refunded.

3. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Wow, I didn't even know refunds existed!

4. Crichton333

Crichton333 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game developer
    You may want to word your refund request correctly because the people at Apple who read the request have to check their paper with all the allowed circumstances in which they can allow it.

Just hit the keywords of "the app was misleading" or "false advertising", "not working on my device". You get the picture.

Dont write "Hi my name is Ross, I was just wondering if I could get a refund, please and thank you."

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    If you make a backup of the IPA, you can still install a game in your device. I found this out by accident, when I got refunded on a game (in less than 1 minute) but I remember then going in my PC and seeing the backup. The only thing is... If you lose the IPA file... You can't download again from purchase history. It will show the original price.