save to API File

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    Someone help
    Me out

You cannot save to API file right?

So how can a player play a word game making their own words in a template without me having to make hundreds of word packs as inapp purchases?
    Thanks

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You can save locally on device so that shouldn't be an issue.

3. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    ?

Please can you explain more in detail?

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    It is standard to be able to write data to a device. How you do it is up to the coder but there is nothing technically stopping writing files to the device.

For a list of words all you would need is a file you append the extra words to the end of.

5. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    Thanks
    So you cannot really implement the cards in to the game that someone makes?

6. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I assume you mean IPA.... which is a container and not applicable to what you need.

Yes a player could load his own cards that he created and saved locally (ie: on his device) in the apps documents folder. No you cannot save to the game files (but that shouldn't matter).

So for example: I keep a game save file in the apps documents folder (you can read and write there) but the games assets and files are read only and cannot be changed.

This is my understanding of how Apple sandboxes applications. If it is wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    The opposite of what you said. Of course you can. It would actually be easy from my point of view.

I actually assumed he mean apk for android. Either way saving is not a problem.

You are right, and then if you want to sync the data accross devices you need to come up with a solution.

Pretty much every game does this in some form to keep track of progress.