Super Mega Ultra Pi Boy 64 Thingy Build - Raspberry Pi Gameboy Mod

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MicroByte, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#1 MicroByte, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    https://superpiboy.files.wordpress.com/

So I had been looking (again!) into getting a Gameboy Light, but just like before, found that they are still expensive and mostly in bad condition.

I recently found a Gameboy at Goodwill for $5.00, but the battery had leaked and the PCB was not salvageable.

Anyways, long story short, I started working on incorporating a Raspberry Pi with the Gameboy. I had seen some done in the past and this looked like a great little project to get involved with.

[​IMG]

Here's the complete detail with some overview videos, build log and everything I went through to get it built.

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Cool. I use to own a video game store, I had no idea those would be sought after one day.

3. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    really cool that you made that yourself, but why not just jailbreak your phone and have access to every pre ps1 system, without the need to carry around a second device with you. i just bring my phone and a ps3 controller and i got everything from pokemon to symphonies of the night ready at a moments notice.

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

But by carrying a PS3 controller, you somewhat are carrying a second device, aren't you?

I did this more for nostalgic reasons. As a young teen, the Gameboy blew me away when my friend got one. I was amazed by the fact that you could play Mario anywhere. Over the years, it has remained one of my favorite systems/handhelds and it was something that just seemed like a fun & challenging project to go through (which it was).

I really don't play as many games on the go, most of my gaming happens at home so I don't really carry it around with me.

5. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
  6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

7. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Great way to use a Raspberry Pi :D

8. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Oh wow I actually read about this in an article the other day. Congrats on the internet exposure.

I was planning on doing something similar-ish with an NES. The pi really is a nifty little device.