Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Freeway82 Freeway82 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 232
Default Modern Combat 5 iPad Air Performance Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Yepp. Was streaming the Game and then...everyone was kicked out from the Server

Just a note since someone asked me about it on the Stream. The Game does look better on the iPhone 5s compared with the iPad Air. Still don`t know what else might be different but the iPad Build seem to kinda have cut a few Details here and there.

Update:

Gameloft told me that all Stats will get reset tomorrow so everyone will start again from Zero to make it fair for everyone that might have got the Game later then someone else where the Game might have been already launched a day or some hours earlier.
I noticed this graphics disparity from the videos too. The iPhone version looked sharper and crispier while the iPad Air and Mini Retina version looked blurry and dull.

Honestly, it is such an injustice that someone would shell out close to 1000 to purchase the latest device with the latest tech but still can't get a better experience than someone with an older, smaller device because Devs simply do not care to optimise their games.

It's baffling too considering that the iPad has less processing functions than an iPhone.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM
heringer heringer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway82 View Post
I noticed this graphics disparity from the videos too. The iPhone version looked sharper and crispier while the iPad Air and Mini Retina version looked blurry and dull.

Honestly, it is such an injustice that someone would shell out close to 1000 to purchase the latest device with the latest tech but still can't get a better experience than someone with an older, smaller device because Devs simply do not care to optimise their games.

It's baffling too considering that the iPad has less processing functions than an iPhone.
iPad is rendering at a higher resolution though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Sanuku Sanuku is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
When you say stats, does that mean everybody's character will be reset to level 1 or does that just relate to leaderboard being reset?
If it refers to both it would be better for balancing it out considering the "early adopters".

Edit. Never mind. Just got word it refers to everyone's profiles and leaderboards. That's good to hear as now no one has a head start.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway82 View Post
I noticed this graphics disparity from the videos too. The iPhone version looked sharper and crispier while the iPad Air and Mini Retina version looked blurry and dull.

Honestly, it is such an injustice that someone would shell out close to €1000 to purchase the latest device with the latest tech but still can't get a better experience than someone with an older, smaller device because Devs simply do not care to optimise their games.

It's baffling too considering that the iPad has less processing functions than an iPhone.
I didn`t know that there were any (major?) difference between those two Builds till someone asked my why my Footage was looking more sharper then the other once that had been so far posted on YouTube or on Twitch till someone pointed me into the right direction and I loaded up the Game on my iPad Air and noticed the difference.

I am still wondering why Gameloft did add those chances in the longer run but make Ryan can tell us more about it and if we might see an Upgrade for the iPad Air Build at some later point.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Nekku Nekku is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,087
Default

So the leaked build was running in native resolution on iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina but there was some feedback about bad framerates on both of them so GL decided to lower the resolution because of that?
Hmm, I dont know what I should think about that. Okay, good performance is important in MP but it feels salty not having maxed out graphics on the newest devices. I doubt there will be any performance updates though. All their other games like Asphalt 8, TASM2 and GT Racing 2 are still running like shit on A7 iPads compared to older hardware.

It's almost a year ago since these devices were introduced...it's sad, rly.

Last edited by Nekku; 07-23-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is online now
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 17,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
So the leaked build was running in native resolution on iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina but there was some feedback about bad framerates on both of them so GL decided to lower the resolution because of that?
Hmm, I dont know what I should think about that. Okay, good performance is important in MP but it feels salty not having maxed out graphics on the newest devices. I doubt there will be any performance updates though. All their other games like Asphalt 8, TASM2 and GT Racing 2 are still running like shit on A7 iPads compared to older hardware.

It's almost a year ago since these devices were introduced...it's sad, rly.
Yeah im a little worried about this. This isnt the optimization i was hoping for from GL. However, im hoping they are doing this as a quick fix, and eventually come out with an optimization fix.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
JBRUU JBRUU is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
I doubt there will be any performance updates though. All their other games like Asphalt 8, TASM2 and GT Racing 2 are still running like shit on A7 iPads compared to older hardware.

It's almost a year ago since these devices were introduced...it's sad, rly.
This is why I stuck with an iPad 4.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM
sticktron sticktron is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
So the leaked build was running in native resolution on iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina but there was some feedback about bad framerates on both of them so GL decided to lower the resolution because of that?
Hmm, I dont know what I should think about that. Okay, good performance is important in MP but it feels salty not having maxed out graphics on the newest devices. I doubt there will be any performance updates though. All their other games like Asphalt 8, TASM2 and GT Racing 2 are still running like shit on A7 iPads compared to older hardware.

It's almost a year ago since these devices were introduced...it's sad, rly.
It's about damn time iOS games came with graphics settings. PC games have had the option to choose resolution since the beginning.

Even a simple retina/non-retina switch would lessen the resolution by 75% and allow for major performance boosts for older devices.

Not to mention switches for turning off advanced shaders or antialiasing etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Mess Mess is online now
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktron View Post
It's about damn time iOS games came with graphics settings. PC games have had the option to choose resolution since the beginning.

Even a simple retina/non-retina switch would lessen the resolution by 75% and allow for major performance boosts for older devices.

Not to mention switches for turning off advanced shaders or antialiasing etc.
probably a case of 'telling people what they want' will be better in most cases. You give people the option to fiddle, they will end up making things play worse on their device.

That being said, it would be an awesome feature
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Rip73 Rip73 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
I looked at some walkthrough vids from TouchGameplay (that's Sanukus Channel, right?). I dont know which iPad he was using but it looked very smooth so far. Didn't know how the leaked build was looking though.
Apparently the leaked build had framerate issues on iPad Air.
It was running at native resolution with full effects but it dipped below 20fps frequently.
That seems to have been reflected in the final test builds on that device.
They turned down the resolution on the release build but it has resulted in consistent and stable frame rates.

I'll always take stable framerate over native res so it was the right choice to make.
The resolution wasn't turned down that much anyway but enough to make a difference to framerate.

Anyway, in reality the amount of stuff out there running at full native resolution is very low, tends to be lower movement type stuff (though not always) and the majority of people don't seem to notice immediately anyway.
Whereas framerate, one will notice that immediately.
It was the right choice to make right now.

NOVA 3 had a retina on/off switched added after launch and similar framerate issues at full settings on iPad 3 so perhaps a similar solution is being considered as it is the same dev team.
And to follow what Mess said, sometimes giving people the option has led to some very bad App Store reviews. The auto detect mechanic is probably for the best as the majority wouldn't necessarily know what to do and nobody wants bad reviews. Or bad performance from having the wrong settings enabled.

Last edited by Rip73; 07-23-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Nekku Nekku is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Apparently the leaked build had framerate issues on iPad Air.
It was running at native resolution with full effects but it dipped below 20fps frequently.
That seems to have been reflected in the final test builds on that device.
They turned down the resolution on the release build but it has resulted in consistent and stable frame rates.

I'll always take stable framerate over native res so it was the right choice to make.
The resolution wasn't turned down that much anyway but enough to make a difference to framerate.

Anyway, in reality the amount of stuff out there running at full native resolution is very low, tends to be lower movement type stuff (though not always) and the majority of people don't seem to notice immediately anyway.
Whereas framerate, one will notice that immediately.
It was the right choice to make right now.

NOVA 3 had a retina on/off switched added after launch and similar framerate issues at full settings on iPad 3 so perhaps a similar solution is being considered as it is the same dev team.
And to follow what Mess said, sometimes giving people the option has led to some very bad App Store reviews. The auto detect mechanic is probably for the best as the majority wouldn't necessarily know what to do and nobody wants bad reviews. Or bad performance from having the wrong settings enabled.
Ye, I also prefer performance over resolution. I hate lagg. I hate it so much. Just look at my post history and you will know
There is nothing worse than a bad framerate for me.
Do you know if the final release also has less effects?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent