★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Recording audio off an iPod Touch

08-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Recording audio off an iPod Touch

So after making my very first promo video for my very first game (by video taping my iPod while playing it), I have come to realize that camcorder microphones are total crap, and it would be much better to plug one end of an audio cable into the iPod and the other end into a computer and hit record in a program like audacity.

I don't know much about audio equipment though. What sort of cable do you need to do this, and where's a good place to buy one? Thanks!

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
08-30-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm no expert but...

I think all you need is a cord with two ends like you would plug into the headphone jack - one plugged into the jack on the ipod/iphone, and the other plugged into a microphone jack of your computer.
Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-S...1610190&sr=8-2

⚓ Front Page Tug Boat Naturalist
Plus+/OF/GC: arhb
Beta Tested: Shrapnel, Pocket Creatures, NovaRift, Zlider, Lunarcy, Kingpin, Nanomechs, Ground Effect, Geared, Twilight Golf, Finger Physics, DJ Nights.
08-30-2009, 04:58 AM
FYI, you'll run into sync issues with the audio and video with that approach, unless you're using something like a webcam on your PC.

The best solution is to use a cam that has direct audio input or a screen capture program like ScreenFlow, especially if you don't need to deal with multi-gestures or the accelerometer. This topic has also been discussed before here, so do a search.

You can get any garden variety audio cable at RadioShack in your 'hood. All you need is a 1/8" stereo-to-stereo cable. Don't bother with places like Best Buy- total ripoff.

Rōnin game developer.
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Awesome, thanks!

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)