The Nightmare Cooperative by Lucky Frame (Bad Hotel, Wave Trip) - Strategic roguelike

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NiceDude, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    hey! I am one of the developers. Currently working away on making sure this looks great on mobile devices. If anyone has any questions for us, feel free to drop them in this thread, we will try to cover it.

2. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Is this also coming to Android, at some point?

3. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    yeah, it should be a simultaneous 'ish release. The hard bits are just getting the UI all crossplatform, and hooking up the leaderboards.

I can't promise same day, but it will be pretty near in time.

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Awesome, can't wait.

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    What will the launch price be?

Also, what is the money for in chests .....just for a higher score?

It would seem if that was the case, someone may avoid the chests and
    just heads for the stairs every time , if score was not important to the
    player, who just wanted to complete the game.

Thanks

6. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    I have the game on PC. It's set up like 868, all about that high score but using a chest spawns enemies.

7. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    Yup, chests are just for points. The trick is that it is pretty tough to finish the game, even if you don't open up any chests at all. That said, a few of the players have totally surprised me with how high they have gotten their scores.

8. NiceDude

Jul 23, 2014
    Update from the dev:
    Earliest estimated release time frame is September, latest would be six months from now

9. NiceDude

Jul 23, 2014
    New screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant wait for this one. Looks gorgeous.

11. NiceDude

Jul 23, 2014
    Sigh, what the hell, the community is interested. Here are my extended impressions of Nightmare Cooperative (PC), so your hype can rise more easily. If you love Hoplite and 868, you will absolutely love Nightmare.

If you go into this game expecting a grand and complicated experience, you'll probably be disappointed. The Nightmare Cooperative is a compact game, a roguelike distilled to its base elements. You won't find complex skill trees, or a multitude of loot to collect and equip, or expansive environments for you to explore and perish in. That's not a bad thing; if you're looking for something simple but challenging, simplified yet also strategic and tactical, The Nightmare Cooperative excels.

The set-up is simple, a framework for the action rather than an extended narrative. Your village is in disarray; go out, gather gold, fight monsters, survive. The core of The Nightmare Cooperative is its gameplay and that aspect proves to be much deeper and more engaging than the story. If you've familiar with Michael Brough's 868-HACK, you'll feel right at home among Nightmare's enemy-filled rooms. Similar to that game, your goal here is to amass a high score, the amount of gold you collect equaling your final score. Opening chests rewards you with gold and spawns enemy so choosing whether to rush for the exit or increase your score is a crucial choice. Enemies move when you move so each step forward is a strategic decision that, when combined with the game's mechanics and varied foes, gives The Nightmare Cooperative a methodical, puzzle-esque vibe.

You don't control a single hero in Nightmare, but rather an entire group at once, each hero moving and using their special abilities simultaneously. Each hero is unique and positioning and formation is important since their abilities are only effective under certain conditions. The Archer can only shoot enemies directly ahead, the Mage can hit enemies on diagonals, the Warrior can perform two strikes in one move, the Ninja can pass through enemies, and so on for the other seven heroes. Supplementing these abilities are items that provide special perks, such as extra life at the expense of mana or not spawning enemies when opening a chest.

The enemies you face are equally varied and cement the game's strategic puzzle atmosphere. Some enemies travel along predictable paths. Others mirror your movements or move extra spaces in a turn. Turrets rotate and fire in intervals. All this knowledge is always at your disposal and define how you position your heroes, which heroes are best for a given room. Managing four heroes at once, while timing and syncing your movements to evade enemies or get into formation to attack a desired enemy with a specific ability, is a satisfying challenge. It's best to approach each move in The Nightmare Cooperative slowly and carefully, taking the time to plan out your next steps, thinking about where you are and will be in relation to enemies and hazards. A poor decision can easily find your heroes scattered across a level, cornered, a beneficial move for one character being dangerous for the others.

The colorful distinct art style rounds out this compelling package. The Nightmare Cooperative is all about the gameplay, the turn-for-turn decisions that make the best roguelikes so satisfying. Those looking for something with more depth may find the game lacking, but the strategic gameplay, varied heroes, and one-more-go appeal makes The Nightmare Cooperative a worthy addition for fans of the genre. The developers plan to add a challenge mode that will feature rooms with predetermined heroes, enemies, and layouts designed to test your strategic prowess.

12. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    oh my goodness!

thanks for all the kind words. I am really glad we are making a connection with players.

There hasn't been a ton of written press about the pc release, but we did get quite a few LPs made about the game. Here is the youtube search, and you can pick which one you want to watch yourself. :)

13. NiceDude

Jul 23, 2014
    You're welcome! Well we have chatted before, on TIG and over email :) I'm a big roguelike fan, so games like this just hook me. Hope you'll be able to connect with more players in that r/gamedev Showcase

14. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    Whats the r/gamedev showcase? I haven't heard of it before.

15. NiceDude

Jul 23, 2014
    Oh, I must have talked with another Lucky Frame developer then. It's a big indie game showcase I'm putting together, have 50+ developers participating. It's kind of a mix of Screenshot Saturday and Ask Me Anything: devs post about their games and then people can ask questions and comments. Along with The Nightmare Cooperative, game include Monument Valley, Galactic Keep, Framed, Ghost Song, Ashen, Liege, and a bunch more PC/IOS games

16. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    ah awesome! that must have been yann, he is the one that posts under the lucky frame name and runs the twitter account (mostly). Cool, yeah hopefully it does something.

17. amazingrolo

amazingrolo Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Sound Designer, Maker of things
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    We have a release date!

August 28th, this Thursday, iPhone & iPad (universal) release.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #19 JCho133, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Fantastic!

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Niiiice. I know what to get this thursday :D