★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Slitherine
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 261.3 MB
  • Version: 1.6.4
  • Price: $19.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: This is the war that ended peace, in a continent where great leaders had to lead their countries to victory at all cost. And you are that leader.

Commander The Great War is a turn-based strategy game that captures this time of war with unprecedented realism and accuracy. A huge-hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east, is the setting for 5 grand campaigns, each starting in a different year of the war.

You are confronted with all possible strategic and tactical decisions, from logistics to diplomacy, from deployment to combat. Every aspect of the war is in your hands in a gaming experience with no precedent on the iPad. Commander the Great War is a game for strategy fans, for history buffs and for anyone whos looking for a deep, immersive gaming experience.

The game includes:
*5 Grand Campaigns: 1914 The Great War, 1915 Ypres Artois, 1916 The Battle of Verdun, 1917 The Nivelle Offensive and 1918 The Kaiserschlacht.
*Over 40 unique historical and what-if events triggered by conditions on the campaign-map.
*18 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains, Cruisers, Submarines and Battleships, Fighters, Bombers and Airships. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, based on their historical performance in the various theatres throughout the war.
*Historical Commanders, each with their own specific strengths, so decide wisely which Commander is most suited to which front. Three types of Commanders are available: Generals for ground units, Admirals at sea and flying Aces to strengthen your air units.
*Research and technology to improve units. Aircraft evolve from fragile tools of aerial observation to deadly ground and air attack planes. Artillery barrages become ever more accurate and powerful. Armour technology unleashes a dreadful new weapon on the battlefield: the Tank.
*Detailed and realistic combat that models supply, morale, terrain, leadership, equipment, training and fog of war.
*Cross platform multiplayer via PBEM++ server system.
07-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Definitely stoked about this. The price is a bit high for my taste though. Need more intel!

07-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Great! Day one purchase!

Schenker P505 Notebook | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
07-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Can't wait to pick this bad boy up tonight! Slitherine delivers another top notch strategy game, well worth the price of admission.
07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Looks good but I think might just wait for battle academy 2
07-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Insta-buy for me. I've played a bit. Combat mechanics are a lot like Panzer Corps, but there are more elements you have to deal with, like industrial production. It is pricey compared to a lot of other iOS games, but good strategy games are worth it for me.
07-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Had been waiting for this one. I played 7 straight hours in my first game, and still only reached turn 15 (out of a possible 118), which was January 1915. It's going to be a long war, there's some serious gaming time here, and it's wonderful.

Couple of very minor rough edges to the port, but overall plays really well on original iPad mini. There's nothing else like this on iPad and it is well worth the price, which as usual is half the cost of the PC version.

The game complements both Panzer Corps and Battle Academy very well. Battle Academy is all about individual tanks and platoons in small battles, Panzer Corps is about army sized enounters, and (different war aside) C:TGW zooms out to cover war from the highest level and the need to allocate research and production becomes as important, if not more so, then just pushing units around the map. Knowing when to push, when to resupply, what to build.

Brilliant game so far, just brilliant.
07-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Originally Posted by Best75 View Post
Looks good but I think might just wait for battle academy 2
BA II is great, no question ... I play the Beta. Nevertheless is this a complete different game. The gameplay also as the setup WW II vs. WW I ...

Also I like at BA II that it now has a skirmish mode. But I think it will take at least a year from now that we will see BA II on our iPads ....

Schenker P505 Notebook | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
07-25-2014, 02:07 AM
There's always been a lack of WWI strategy games IMO, and this one looks like a real beast. And since it's Slitherine you just know it's worth the asking price.
07-25-2014, 05:01 AM
WOW!! What a great day! This so reminds me of Hearts Of Iron from Paradox Games, set in a different war of course. Goodbye family, goodbye world. Hello Commander!
I am reading Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie, which sets the scene for the Great War, one of the best I have read to date. This game arrived at just the right time for me.

Last edited by eugenemcardle; 07-25-2014 at 05:12 AM.