Let's Argue About the 2014 Ninja Turtles!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Praymettin, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #1 Praymettin, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    I pray God to revoke that Michael Bay creature from existence, so that our memories of childhood classics can finally be at peace.

Those horrible hulking brutes are supposed to be the turtles? What are those??? Another line of unnecessarily brutal and vile transformations, like that spoiled jarhead Optimus?

"Fierce Ninjutsu attacks" : Can't be the other way, if it is Michael Bay,is it?

And look at Leo's weapons in the screenshot! He is supposed to be a wise leader ninja, not a hulking turtle Kratos! Why is this violence and warmonging in all the concepts he had to touch?

This game could be a good play, like combo crew, but the 2014 concept is the murder of TMNT essence. I'm going back to TMNT rooftop run.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wtf is this? This is not the tmnt I grew up with :( burn it with fire then throw micheal bay on the pile :p

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's called "the artist's vision." Im still not sure if i really like the new looks, but your post raised a few questions.

Did you hate the movie versions of Iron Man as it was VERY different from the original designs? Batman? How about the changes in Godzilla (both of the latest ones) compared to the originals? If you see Tim Burton in person, would you spit on his face? :D

4. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    This post is all sorts of wrong.

1st of all, Bay is shitty, but he's only a producer, not a director in his one, people seem to forget that.

"Those horrible hulking brutes are supposed to be the turtles?"... lol that is a recurrent dumb complaint among the detractors of this movie, but trying to rationalize the complaints for the new designs as if they were based on logic is just stupid, if you want to rationalize that these new turles are"hulking brutes" then that complaint is directly tied to very concept of Adult size humanoid turtles, those "unnecessary brutal and vile transformations" have more ninja in them than the original designs, if you know what a ninja really is.

Complaining about the designs is selective suspension of disbelief and it's just silly.

You can not like it and that's fine, but to act as if the dislike was based on anything but personal preference, like "logic", is BS, and it's silly to claim that they did something "wrong" with this new version when clearly the intrinsic nature of the characters is intact.

We're talking about a comic that started with murderous humanoid turtles, filled with gore and pulpy violence.

"vile" pfff lol.

5. blindmuggy

blindmuggy Active Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I kinda like the new look, bob dylan said it best "the times they are a changin" and we should change with it

6. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Ah the new look is fantastic, it's just that the mindless herd jumps onto the hatewagon, the movie was predestined to get bad rap with the name of Bay attached to it, if you're smart enough to get past that, you can see the movie is looking to be quite fun.

The fact that Bay isn't directing this is precisely why this movie has hope.

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #7 Jake7905, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Let's not go nuts, the new TMNT movie is directed by Jonathan Liebesman; his last 2 movies were Wrath of the Titans and Battle:LA. If the movie turns out average and somewhat entertaining, it'll be a triumph.

As for the look, the muscles are over-exaggerated. They just look goofy and out of proportion. They remind me of Mark McGwire during the MLB steroids era.

8. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    I said the movie has hope, I didn't say "let's just onto the hype train. " lol

They're not exaggerated, like I said, any attempts to "rationalize" the complaints about the new designs are rooted directly into the very concept of this franchise.

Why? Because you have no idea how a humanoid turtle is supposed to look like, even the original designs look NOTHING like the "popular" ones from the cartoons and movies, the muscles are perfectly in proportion for each character, Mikey is regularly built, same for Leo, Donnie is skinny and Raph is a hulk.

If the movie sucks it won't have anything to do with the character designs, those are great.

9. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Have you seen the trailers? They all sound fantastic, including Leo.

10. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    #10 Jake7905, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Of course a "humanoid turtle" is pure fantasy, but again, the proportions are in bad taste. If an artist is aiming for a "humanoid ninja turtle", it helps to accentuate the "human" part of that concept. And as far as the ninja part goes, when was the last time you saw a ninja bodybuilder? But you are right, there is no right way to design a ninja turtle, it's all a matter of taste and preference. And I agree, the movie's character design will not determine the quality of the movie. But the goofy Swarzenegger body design, coupled with Michael Bay's attachment as producer, doesn't inspire much hope in me.

11. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    They're not in bad taste, they're perfect, they are superheroes, and no, there's not a "human" part anywhere in the concept, it's humanoid, and that's VERY different from "human".

Are you not aware that the previous versions are also roided out ripped?

Like I said, if you don't like it, that's all good, but don't try to ground the complains in any other reason than personal preference, because you throw the entire concept all the way to the original design under the bus.

C'mon, Donnie isn't roided out, Leo isn't roided out neither it's Mikey, Raph is the only big guy and that makes perfect sense.

12. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    If you like the new design, that's all good, but don't try to ground your praise in any other reason than personal preference.

I think they're goofy, you think they're great, and that's cool. But please don't tell me that there's no human part in the concept, that's just arguing to argue. Humanoid means: something that has an appearence resembling a human being. And what other species has ninja's? Clearly, TMNT were designed as a human looking turtle. Human traits, and/or a human appearence is a part of every fantasy character, after all, they all were conceived in a human mind.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^So the new looks dont look humanoid to you?

14. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    I'm not, but if I wanted to there's more that supports the fact that the new designs make as much sense as the classic ones.

And that is based in logic, trying to logically detract from the new designs without detracting from the classics, that you can't.

So your attempt of switcheroo doesn't work.

The originals also look goofy.

Wrong, there is NO human part in the concept.

Thanks for proving my point.

Everything that makes them resemble a human being, talking, martial arts, bipedal walking, makes them humanoid, not human.

Now you're just arguing for the sake of it.

15. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    #15 Jake7905, Jul 25, 2014
    You lose an argument on facts and still persist? Do you work for FOX News? You're arguing against a definition I pulled from a dictionary. I never said that TMNT were human, but the design form a TMNT is clearly a turtle with human attributes. That's it and that's all, we're starting to go in circles here.

16. This thread going on the wrong way...

17. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    #17 Jake7905, Jul 25, 2014
    Oh definitely, it's just an over-cooked design in my opinion, TMNT on steroids. I would have preferred the originals done with modern effects. Just a personal preference.

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yeah, guys. If you're discussing models and designs, the General Discussion forum is the perfect place for a thread with that topic.

19. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Don't make me laugh.

I didn't lose any argument, and the facts favor me, not you.

Let's ignore the actual fact that you avoided to address the rest of my points and focused on YOUR poor choice of word, your whole argument about the new designs is based on your premise on that poor choice of word.

You proved my point about the turtles being humanoid and yet you keep clinging into the slightest shred of semantics you can find, there are none, words have a meaning for a reason and a proper use.

Where exactly is that "fact" I lost to?

Better yet, don't indulge me and accept you're wrong by not continuing this debacle of a "debate".

Sorry, posted before I refreshed to that lol

This is where I stop.

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Megan Fox is a terrible actress.

Other than that, I look forward to this latest incarnation of our beloved anthropomorphic reptilian brothers with an open mind.