Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 PM
DyabitGames DyabitGames is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Default Will iOS 8.0 really improve App Store discoverability?

Hello folks!

As in the post subject, do you think that iOS 8.0 really improves App Store discoverability? To me, as indie game developer, most notable changes are App Previews and App Bundles, but... I think that app discoverability will remain the same.

What do you think? Having more categories would help? Maybe a more serious review process? I have seen lots of clones of clones with super long titles filled with unrelated keywords being approved, or very low quality games... Sometimes I don't understand Apple review process.

Steam has a "greenlight" phase, but I think it has pros and cons. Would that method be applicable to the App Store?

Well, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Regards!

Last edited by DyabitGames; 07-28-2014 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Fixing a typo.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 744
Default

Greenlight is silly and I hope apple never implements it.

I doubt it will make the kind of improvements any of us are hoping for but putting a video on the profile will help a lot.

I hope Apple does something about the super long titles. I believe they are trying and make exact match the highest (which for the super long titles will never be searched for).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:02 AM
AxBattler's Avatar
AxBattler AxBattler is offline
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyabitGames View Post
Steam has a "greenlight" phase, but I think it has pros and cons.
It won't be there for long as Valve announced the intention of shutting it down (I think there isn't a date yet, but it will happen).
It was a nice idea in theory but it has so many problems I hope to never see something like it on other platforms.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is offline
Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 96
Default

I think steam would do better with just their staff reviewing items, over the greenlight system. I mean its not hard to see if a game has a popular and active community, and so it then gets manually greenlit. The only time I use greenlight is to try and see what new indie games seem cool, but then it tries to make you rate some weird random games first.

In terms of the app store improvements. Just the fact that they are thinking about this is good. Apple seems a lot more calculated with the risks they take on their platforms. So I don't think they are really going to ever try totally new things. That's not how they are, they "borrow" other ideas, and then given them more polish. But it is good that they are catching up to google play, and expanding the automatic suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
I think steam would do better with just their staff reviewing items, over the greenlight system. I mean its not hard to see if a game has a popular and active community, and so it then gets manually greenlit. The only time I use greenlight is to try and see what new indie games seem cool, but then it tries to make you rate some weird random games first.

In terms of the app store improvements. Just the fact that they are thinking about this is good. Apple seems a lot more calculated with the risks they take on their platforms. So I don't think they are really going to ever try totally new things. That's not how they are, they "borrow" other ideas, and then given them more polish. But it is good that they are catching up to google play, and expanding the automatic suggestions.
That system is the Apple system where staff pick games to be featured.

I also hate they charge you to try and get greenlit. It creates an ugly ecosystem for developers and users I think. The same people who vote on greenlight aren't the same people who buy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM
BitStern BitStern is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 50
Default

iOS 6 to 7 upgrade improved a lot regarding app discovery. I hope, they are going to improve it step by step.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 AM
OnlyJoe OnlyJoe is offline
Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
That system is the Apple system where staff pick games to be featured.

I also hate they charge you to try and get greenlit. It creates an ugly ecosystem for developers and users I think. The same people who vote on greenlight aren't the same people who buy.
Yeah, I guess that is the same as the apple system. For Apple it does seem to work, for the most part anyway. But then I guess with greenlight, steam is probably trying to give the community the feeling that they are participating in choosing, not just some big company calling all the shots. Maybe if they connected it to the community forum stuff a bit more, it might work better. I am kind of worried that they are going to dump the greenlight thing and replace it with nothing, so just any and every games go on steam. And it gets a bit flooded with the simple don't step on the white tile games.

Last edited by OnlyJoe; 07-28-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
Yeah, I guess that is the same as the apple system. For Apple it does seem to work, for the most part anyway. But then I guess with greenlight, steam is probably trying to give the community the feeling that they are participating in choosing, not just some big company calling all the shots. Maybe if they connected it to the community forum stuff a bit more, it might work better. I am kind of worried that they are going to dump the greenlight thing and replace it with nothing, so just any and every games go on steam. And it gets a bit flooded with the simple don't step on the white tile games.
That is where the curated games get more exposure.

Something I would like to see is "featured" as a checkbox which would allow you to narrow your search to only apps which have been featured at one point. This probably wouldn't be of advantage to an indie developer unless they were lucky enough to get featured but it would keep a historical record (or put a badge or something).


I personally think free markets are fine. Let anyone submit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM
optimizemyapps.com optimizemyapps.com is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to optimizemyapps.com
Default

Hey Guys,
Had written a Blog post couple of weeks ago about iOS 8 Search features & how it might effect the search functionality on the app store. If you feel this post is in violation of the forum rules then please remove it (wanted to share what i wrote as it pertains to this discussion)

http://www.optimizemyapps.com/ios-8-...-optimization/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 AM
DyabitGames DyabitGames is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Default A machine cannot do the job of a human

Quote:
Had written a Blog post couple of weeks ago about iOS 8 Search features & how it might effect the search functionality on the app store.
You're enumerating the same things that were introduced by Apple and, as I said, I don't think any of those changes will improve app discoverability, mainly because those changes are focused on improving App Store navigation, user experience and purchase decision. Discoverability seems to remain the same.

To me, the problem is that good apps (they're worth for some reasons) are mixed with bad apps (they aren't worth for some reasons), and a machine or algorithm will never distinguish between both without human help. It's a human task to mark an app as recommended so, in the end, I think the solution is in the review process.

Right now, featuring apps is the closes concept, but it's a temporary solution that only last one week. After that period, the app sinks into the ocean forever because, as far as I know, App Store users can't search for apps that were featured time ago (please, correct me if I'm wrong). The ideal case would be this: search for a type of game (ex: shoot'em up) and filter search results by "Was Featured" tag. Also, sorting by release date, ratings, etc. would be appreaciated.

In fact, if you try such search in iTunes on your Mac, you get 93 apps related to the search term "shoot'em up". Really? More than one million apps in the App Store, but only 93 shoot'em up games? I don't believe that. It's obvious that keywords are not enough. The App Store needs a much better, strongest and comprehensive category system.

Now, with iOS 8, they're introducing permanent Editor's choice label on apps. But how many apps will be tagged as Editor's choice app? And can users filter search results by this tag? Is this the same as being featured?

And, sincerely, if Apple wants quality App Store content, they should start removing all the crap and clones. Basically, they should start applying their review guidelines:

Quote:
2.11 - Apps that duplicate Apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them, such as fart, burp, flashlight, and Kama Sutra Apps
What do you think? Do someone know something about the iOS 8 Editor's choice tag?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent