Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Marvel Contest of Champions

Marvel announced at ComicCon they are releasing Marvel Contest of Champions for Smartphones and Tablets in Fall 2014. It looks to be a direct competitor to the mobile version of Injustice.

Here's a link to the original article: LINK

Last edited by Jerutix; 07-27-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 5.x

I'm super interested to see how this'll turn out, but I'm also preparing for the worst. Positives first: I love the fact that we're getting a Marvel beat-'em-up game! That pre-alpha footage showed a lot of promise (great visuals that will probably look even better by the time the game comes out, distinctive movesets for each of the characters shown, with a hint of semi-destructive environments) and the revealed roster is great (I love that Vision, Black Panther and Daredevil, some of my favorite Marvel characters, are included! Add Drax, Rich Rider Nova, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and Winter Soldier and I'm sold!).

However, here's my main problem: Kabam. Injustice has proven by all accounts that a F2P fighting game can live past its expiration date on the mobile scene; however, it accomplished that by featuring a very balanced and unobtrusive IAP system. Can we trust Kabam to bear that in mind if they decide to release this as a F2P game? Also, will this be another one of those games that'll include a needless constant connection requirement (please don't...)? Time will tell... I'll say one thing, though: based on what little was shown (which will assumedly be improved upon as development rolls on) and its potential is utilized properly, this is the sort of game I'd gladly spend 10 bucks for on release day!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Whoa! I can play as Juggernaut? Sold!!!

Wait... Kabam?!?!?! Umm... Undecided!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 AM

If I can use Gambit with Jugg and wolvie, I'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I'll get this IF the f2p balance is fair OR if it is a completely premium experience. But knowing Kabam, I'd imagine we'll be moaning about how difficult it is to get enough currency to buy one new hero, and that we can't play as that character because their energy has depleted. Oh wait, that's Injustice for me. Please don't be another Injustice! Be better.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 5.x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cArs65I2k

Found this interview, which confirms that the game will be F2P (with IAPs designed to "make the characters stronger"; no clear answer was given if they'll be obligatory in order to unlock characters) and will be "online", which presumably could confirm that this will feature a constant connection requirement but could also refer simply to a Multiplayer mode (however, given Kabam's track record, the former seems more likely than the latter). Nothing we weren't expecting, really, but more than enough to make me more skeptical regarding Kabam's "contributions" to this project than I was yesterday (fingers still crossed that this won't be online-only).

Last edited by TheMerc; 07-28-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
wooow so this is ios standards now?!!.... i'm closer than ever to leave this platform seriously we can't even get excited for anything anymore, ios gaming has turned into garbage. but the saddest part is how people are more and more willing to play their single player games online only and invest ridiculous amounts of money or time into games that are... well... pretty garbage compared to any other platform's standards. sorry just had to let this out. 4 years ago i had a lot of faith in mobile gaming but now i'm just like "hopefully soon enough i just won't care anymore about all this nonsense and get a vita or something".
Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:

Found this interview, which confirms that the game will be F2P (with IAPs designed to "make the characters stronger"; no clear answer was given if they'll be obligatory in order to unlock characters) and will be "online", which presumably could confirm that this will feature a constant connection requirement but could also refer simply to a Multiplayer mode (however, given Kabam's track record, the former seems more likely than the latter). Nothing we weren't expecting, really, but more than enough to make me more skeptical regarding Kabam's "contributions" to this project than I was yesterday (fingers still crossed that this won't be online-only).
Iap to make characters stronger and give an edge...instant mood killer, no longer excited. Pay for characters with rotating free ones I'd be fine with. Costumes I'd be fine with. Pay to get stronger, no. Also he said no virtual joystick so we can forget dreams of this being Street fighter volt with marvel characters.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:

Well, this game will definitely not be getting money from me then. They might as well say, "Just like Injustice, we're going to have cards you can buy to equip on your characters." It's just like Injustice. EXCEPT, I just played Injustice in airplane mode. So, hope they can have an offline mode as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

F2P? No thank you, not for me

Closed Thread