Marvel Contest of Champions

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jerutix, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #1 Jerutix, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Marvel announced at ComicCon they are releasing Marvel Contest of Champions for Smartphones and Tablets in Fall 2014. It looks to be a direct competitor to the mobile version of Injustice.

Here's a link to the original article: LINK

2. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I'm super interested to see how this'll turn out, but I'm also preparing for the worst. Positives first: I love the fact that we're getting a Marvel beat-'em-up game! That pre-alpha footage showed a lot of promise (great visuals that will probably look even better by the time the game comes out, distinctive movesets for each of the characters shown, with a hint of semi-destructive environments) and the revealed roster is great (I love that Vision, Black Panther and Daredevil, some of my favorite Marvel characters, are included! Add Drax, Rich Rider Nova, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and Winter Soldier and I'm sold!).

However, here's my main problem: Kabam. Injustice has proven by all accounts that a F2P fighting game can live past its expiration date on the mobile scene; however, it accomplished that by featuring a very balanced and unobtrusive IAP system. Can we trust Kabam to bear that in mind if they decide to release this as a F2P game? Also, will this be another one of those games that'll include a needless constant connection requirement (please don't...)? Time will tell... I'll say one thing, though: based on what little was shown (which will assumedly be improved upon as development rolls on) and its potential is utilized properly, this is the sort of game I'd gladly spend 10 bucks for on release day!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Whoa! I can play as Juggernaut? Sold!!!

Wait... Kabam?!?!?! Umm... Undecided!!!

4. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    If I can use Gambit with Jugg and wolvie, I'll be fine.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'll get this IF the f2p balance is fair OR if it is a completely premium experience. But knowing Kabam, I'd imagine we'll be moaning about how difficult it is to get enough currency to buy one new hero, and that we can't play as that character because their energy has depleted. Oh wait, that's Injustice for me. Please don't be another Injustice! Be better.

6. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    #6 TheMerc, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cArs65I2k

Found this interview, which confirms that the game will be F2P (with IAPs designed to "make the characters stronger"; no clear answer was given if they'll be obligatory in order to unlock characters) and will be "online", which presumably could confirm that this will feature a constant connection requirement but could also refer simply to a Multiplayer mode (however, given Kabam's track record, the former seems more likely than the latter). Nothing we weren't expecting, really, but more than enough to make me more skeptical regarding Kabam's "contributions" to this project than I was yesterday (fingers still crossed that this won't be online-only).

7. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    wooow so this is ios standards now?!!.... i'm closer than ever to leave this platform seriously we can't even get excited for anything anymore, ios gaming has turned into garbage. but the saddest part is how people are more and more willing to play their single player games online only and invest ridiculous amounts of money or time into games that are... well... pretty garbage compared to any other platform's standards. sorry just had to let this out. 4 years ago i had a lot of faith in mobile gaming but now i'm just like "hopefully soon enough i just won't care anymore about all this nonsense and get a vita or something".

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Iap to make characters stronger and give an edge...instant mood killer, no longer excited. Pay for characters with rotating free ones I'd be fine with. Costumes I'd be fine with. Pay to get stronger, no. Also he said no virtual joystick so we can forget dreams of this being Street fighter volt with marvel characters.

9. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, this game will definitely not be getting money from me then. They might as well say, "Just like Injustice, we're going to have cards you can buy to equip on your characters." It's just like Injustice. EXCEPT, I just played Injustice in airplane mode. So, hope they can have an offline mode as well.

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    F2P? No thank you, not for me

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Mobile gaming has NEVER been as good as handheld gaming for the most part.

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I didn't liked the mobile version of Injustice due to its limited gameplay and controls in comparison to the console version. This one looks like a more console like experience so I'll probably take a look at it as soon as it comes out.

13. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    #13 Lerisbo1192, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    I never said it was, but back then with games like mc1,2,3, dead space, nova, street fighter 4, aralon, infinity blade (before we got tired of the formula), swordigo and many other great stuff well designed for mobile, it was shaping to become way better than other handheld gaming in a matter of couple of years, as there were clearly more and more ambitious projects! Even gameloft was pulling out cool new ips (now we have rival knights and runners and i dont even wanna talk about mc5). Fighting games like injustice were the players can't make more than 2 different 3 hits combos and no one seems to see what's wrong about it. All i say is that it'll take more than oceanhorn, forsaken games, battleheart, forgotten memories, implosion and some decent ports etc...to save mobile gaming from the direction its clearly taking.

I just realised that was your post #1111 and also the #11 post in this thread.

14. ioscody

ioscody Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Hopefully it plays like soul calibur or streetfighter and not like infinity blade swipe shit

15. Jayflasher

Jayflasher Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    #15 Jayflasher, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    New pictures.

Attached Files:

16. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Heh, cool!

17. Jayflasher

Jayflasher Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Another picture.

Attached Files:

18. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Yes! Deadpool!

19. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Ugh, infinite runners, IB clones, match3, f2b, iap......

Well, this looks curious, but FFS!!! Make an actual game not this gimmicky BS.

It's priceless that there are small dev teams making richer gaming experiences than big studio name teams.

Better tell that to the actual games that provide a good gaming experience without BS gimmicks, and the ports that actually sorted out the usual "kontrolz sucks on da ephooon"...

Mobile gaming IS good as a gaming platform.

The fact that devs choose not to exploit it is something else.

20. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    I love these guessing games! Judging by the silhouettes in that picture, it seems like the preliminary roster might consist of:

First Row: Iron Fist; Black Bolt; Hawkeye; Magik (in her current Uncanny X-Men costume); Unclear (the shape of the head suggests Thanos); Abomination;

Second Row: Gamora; Scarlet Witch (or Angela); Captain America; Unclear (probably another female character, maybe Emma Frost or Black Widow); Vision; Hulk;

Third Row: Thor; Unclear (the hair style suggests Colossus); Ronan the Accuser; Black Panther; Iron Man; Magneto;

Fourth Row: Doctor Strange; Rhino; Cyclops; Unclear (the glowing blue eyes suggest Iceman or Electro); Juggernaut; Unclear (perhaps Nightcrawler, but can't swear to it);

Fifth Row: Storm; Unclear (maybe Daredevil, since he was shown in the trailer); Spider-Man; Star-Lord; Wolverine; Deadpool;

It looks like a fun roster! Maybe a bit light on the villains side, but it appears to include a lot of great, lesser-known characters. Also nice to see so many Guardians of the Galaxy-related characters there! Hopefully the in-game mechanics won't hamper the potential for fun that this roster suggests the game might have...