★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: It would *SEEM* that Freeverse is a bit upset with Ambrosia...?

09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
It would *SEEM* that Freeverse is a bit upset with Ambrosia...?

A lot of you might have seen or heard about Ambrosia's Mr. Sudoku game (iTunes link here), which is quite recognisable because of its use of a bee in the game's icon, logo and splash screen. Not a very "obvious" way to promote a sudoku game, so it's use is quite unique there.

Browsing the store this evening, I noticed that Freeverse has got an application called FreeBee Sudoku (iTunes link here), which, coincidentally or not, also makes use of a bee in its branding, and of course, also in it's name.
At this point, you might think I'm reading too much into it, but I thought more of this when I saw the second promo screenshot for this game in iTunes (you won't see this on your iPhone / iPod, but only on the desktop version), which has a picture of their bee, saying "You know, this reminds me of a puzzle...".

Add to the mix that Freeverse ALREADY has a Sudoku game on the store (Big Bang Sudoku), and that their FreeBee Sudoku game is NOT a lite version (they say it has over 10,000 puzzles included), and you have to wonder what's going on...

Hmmm, if I had to guess, I'd say that Freeverse reckons that Ambrosia stole an idea from them, and they're getting their own back with this...

Anyone else have any ideas?
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
HAHA, nice observation, I just wish they make some good games.
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Hmm, seems I might have made some incorrect conclusions. I see Freeverse's older sudoku game also that "this reminds me of a puzzle" screen (although I have no idea why or what the relevance of it is), and that their newer sudoku game, although not lite in the "limited levels" sense if the word, is ad-supported.
I guess this is an admission that there's too many sudoku competitors out there (to state the obvious!) and that people would rather download a free version than pay for theirs. So they have to re-coup their costs another way, hence the ads.