Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM

Default Would these songs even get made today in our PC environment?

Mostly a question for us older folks as we actually know these songs.

KISS - Christine 16
Ringo Starr - You're 16
Stray Cats - Sexy and 17
Kentucky Headhunters - 16 and Single
Chuck Berry - Sweet Little 16

And what I mean is, "for a mainstream crowd". Surely there are far more offensive songs that get made today. In fact, these songs are quite mild when compared to lots of metal / rap songs...... but these songs basically are about being with underage girls, and were mainstream pop songs or rock songs.

I think they might get made, and even played, but there would be a lot of backlash from the PC crowd.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Deuce View Post
Mostly a question for us older folks as we actually know these songs.

KISS - Christine 16
Ringo Starr - You're 16
Stray Cats - Sexy and 17
Kentucky Headhunters - 16 and Single
Chuck Berry - Sweet Little 16

And what I mean is, "for a mainstream crowd". Surely there are far more offensive songs that get made today. In fact, these songs are quite mild when compared to lots of metal / rap songs...... but these songs basically are about being with underage girls, and were mainstream pop songs or rock songs.

I think they might get made, and even played, but there would be a lot of backlash from the PC crowd.
Might be a problem ,but the demographics these songs appealed to were the high school age, and 'older' people by in large didn't like rock. Also, while pedophilia has always been around - it is now highly publicized and likely considered much more common than it actually is as with many things like child abductions, gun related violence, etc. Information is a great and necessary tool, but as with any tool, it needs to be used correctly to get the most out of it. Used poorly generally yields poor results.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 AM

It would largely depend on the country, and of course the age of the singer/band.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
It would largely depend on the country, and of course the age of the singer/band.

Well, let's say USA, and that these guys were 5 to 20 years older than 16. ( because they were )

I know Brian Setzer was 24 when he sang Sexy and 17, and Chuck Berry was 32 when he sang Sweet Little Sixteen. And I just looked it up, Paul Stanley was 25 when KISS did Christine 16.

Last edited by Papa Deuce; 07-28-2014 at 07:03 AM..
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Its 'funny' that when a famous singer marries/sees someone so young it doesnt seem to (at the time) cause people to worry, eg...

Michael Jackson - Having lots of very young friends, kids staying over at his house/room. Taking a young boy to sit on his lap to a music awards show (Monaco)

Elvis Presley - Met Priscella when she was 14 !

Jerry Lee Lewis - Married his 13 year old cousin (to be fair at the time he was totally slated for this by the media etc and rightly so)