Would these songs even get made today in our PC environment?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Mostly a question for us older folks as we actually know these songs. ;) :p

KISS - Christine 16
    Ringo Starr - You're 16
    Stray Cats - Sexy and 17
    Kentucky Headhunters - 16 and Single
    Chuck Berry - Sweet Little 16

And what I mean is, "for a mainstream crowd". Surely there are far more offensive songs that get made today. In fact, these songs are quite mild when compared to lots of metal / rap songs...... but these songs basically are about being with underage girls, and were mainstream pop songs or rock songs.

I think they might get made, and even played, but there would be a lot of backlash from the PC crowd.

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Might be a problem ,but the demographics these songs appealed to were the high school age, and 'older' people by in large didn't like rock. Also, while pedophilia has always been around - it is now highly publicized and likely considered much more common than it actually is as with many things like child abductions, gun related violence, etc. Information is a great and necessary tool, but as with any tool, it needs to be used correctly to get the most out of it. Used poorly generally yields poor results.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It would largely depend on the country, and of course the age of the singer/band.

4. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #4 Papa Deuce, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Well, let's say USA, and that these guys were 5 to 20 years older than 16. ( because they were )

I know Brian Setzer was 24 when he sang Sexy and 17, and Chuck Berry was 32 when he sang Sweet Little Sixteen. And I just looked it up, Paul Stanley was 25 when KISS did Christine 16.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its 'funny' that when a famous singer marries/sees someone so young it doesnt seem to (at the time) cause people to worry, eg...

Michael Jackson - Having lots of very young friends, kids staying over at his house/room. Taking a young boy to sit on his lap to a music awards show (Monaco)

Elvis Presley - Met Priscella when she was 14 !

Jerry Lee Lewis - Married his 13 year old cousin (to be fair at the time he was totally slated for this by the media etc and rightly so)