Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Nvidia Shield Tablet

Really tempted to go for this as my first tablet as it's designed specifically for gaming. Nvidia has also kept the controller separate instead of building it into the screen like the Shield mobile.

I have a few gripes though, it means abandoning an ecosystem of apps which I've purchased and collected over the years. Plus Android can be a buggy OS, the shield tab runs on it.

Also the chip is 32-bit quad core, i was hoping it would be the full 64-bit dual core like the iPhone 5s/iPad Air, but that chip is still in development. So now I'm thinking of waiting for the Shield 2 due out next year.

What do you think of the new Shield Tablet? Take a look at the details: http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

One thing I'd like to know, which tablet would be more powerful once the iPad Air 2 debutes with that A8 chip running apps with the new Metal API and iOS 8. A better experience? Is it too early to make a judgement? I'm lost right now.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I like the look of it as well but I'm partial to AMD for graphics cards so the PC gaming part of it would never be any use to me even without that though it looks like a very nicely specced Android Tablet and my Nexus 7 is the older one it's probably time I replaced it.

The K1 chip looks to be a real step up compared to nearly everything else mobile barring the surface tablets which are basically laptops anyway.

Read this review on anandtech yesterday which does a pretty good job of testing everything.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 AM

I'm still not sold on the idea of PC gaming via a laptop, however I'm not against it (or I wouldn't be here) I just feel that it still needs a few more iteration cycles before it can be deemed a mass market product.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I was initially interested in it too. The biggest issue for someone buying only one tablet device for gaming is the market thats available to it. The Shield runs off the Google Plays store. So that's a big disadvantage compared to buying an iPad Air or Mini Retina. On the other hand, if you have a PC with a compatible graphics card, than you could play PC games which I think is waaay cool. I'm just not sold on it working well, plus I don't have a good PC.

The cloud gaming could be really good, but still unproven. To me, software is just as if not more important than hardware and if the hardware lacks the software for what youre trying to accomplish, you gotta consider other things.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 AM

^^Truer words... the problem is I don't believe Nvidia is the company that can encourage such an influx in titles. I'm afraid that Apple maybe the only company with enough cache to encourage developers to port PC games to tablets, however, it is only interested in creating app store specific content so I doubt that they'd be much interested in sharing a gaming library with PC.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Another thing that is drawing me towards the Shield Tab is the controller with direct wi-fi. It looks like a well designed gaming pad, maybe a little small. I still don't see good controllers for iPads. Anyway what is performance difference with wi-fi direct in comparison with Bluetooth connection with gamepads?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr haptic View Post
^^Truer words... the problem is I don't believe Nvidia is the company that can encourage such an influx in titles. I'm afraid that Apple maybe the only company with enough cache to encourage developers to port PC games to tablets, however, it is only interested in creating app store specific content so I doubt that they'd be much interested in sharing a gaming library with PC.
We aren't talking porting PC titles we are talking about a tablet that can play all PC titles as long at you have a GTX 650 or better it works by streaming them over Wifi think Ps4 and Vita remote play although it does have an almost laptop class GPU in it amazingly.

It's actually making me wonder if I could install two graphics cards and switch between them I really want an AMD R9 290 for my machine but something like a GTX 750Ti is low power enough to theoretically have as well as it's designed for mostly prebuilts.

It's probably unlikely that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vickers View Post
Another thing that is drawing me towards the Shield Tab is the controller with direct wi-fi. It looks like a well designed gaming pad, maybe a little small. I still don't see good controllers for iPads. Anyway what is performance difference with wi-fi direct in comparison with Bluetooth connection with gamepads?
Well I have a WiFi hotspot digital TV receiver that works very well you would never know the Tuner wasn't built into the device so I would think WiFi has a lot more bandwidth to take advantage off over Bluetooth.

Last edited by Teknikal; 07-31-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
It's actually making me wonder if I could install two graphics cards and switch between them I really want an AMD R9 290 for my machine but something like a GTX 750Ti is low power enough to theoretically have as well as it's designed for mostly prebuilts.
Actually, its not as fictional as you think. Lots of people do this kind of build and use a lower powered GTX card for physx. I'm not entirely sure if it would be seamless to switch over if you wanted to do streaming since I have no experience but it certainly seems possible. Really makes me wish I bought a crossfire capable mobo so I can pair my r9 280x with a 750 ti as you said
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Possible stupid question:-

Is the Shield tablet more powerful than the Shield?
or is it the same specs just packaged differently?

I ask because I might be buying an Nvidia Shield, would like to know if it's already been outdated before I buy
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

The tablet is more powerful, people believe Nvidia will come out with a Shield Portable 2, but nobody outside of Nvidia knows for sure when/if it will happen.