Ninja Pizza Girl - Bullying, Self-esteem, Pizza delivering Ninjas

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jason Stark, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Hello, I’m Jason Stark from Disparity Games. We’re a tiny family business consisting of me, my wife Nicole and our 17-year-old daughter Raven. We’ve been working on Ninja Pizza Girl for the last two years and we’d love to know what you think. It’s a side-scrolling platform game about bullying, self-esteem and pizza-delivering ninjas! :)

Official blurb -

Ninja Pizza Girl is a fast-paced platform game about speed and flow, about big jumps and giant drops and yelling out “Woohoo!” It’s a game of freedom and fun for speed runners and platformer newcomers alike. It’s also a game about Gemma,a sixteen-year-old girl trying to keep her dreams alive in face of the most merciless enemies known to any teenage girl – other teenagers.

We’re releasing it on a ton of platforms but the lead platform is iOS. It uses on-screen virtual controls but we’ve kept it to 4 buttons. We were inspired by the control system of Mikey Shorts and designed the gameplay around that. The gameplay is similar to the iOS Mirror’s Edge but with a more platformy vibe and a way greater focus on theme and story.

We’ll be showing off a playable demo at PAXaus if anyone’s going. If you’d like to experience how it plays right now you can grab the PC demo here. Apart from the controls it’s identical to the mobile.

And if there's any other social media places that you think we should be, let me know!

The feedback we've gotten so far has been really helpful so comments are really appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The game looks great. It's different with other running game. Hope that I'll be a beta tester of the game if I can.

3. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Trailer looks fun! I love platformers!!

4. Jason Stark

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Sure! We'll be Beta testing in December / January and on the lookout for good testers.

5. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Same here. Awesome looking game!

6. Jason Stark

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    #6 Jason Stark, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    We're actually in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign. After a really strong start thanks to some favourable press, things have slowed down and the nerves are starting to ramp up.

To our complete surprise Rhianna Pratchett (writer of Mirror's Edge and the latest Tomb Raider) has become involved! She's been looking over our script and offering story advice as well as talking us up on Twitter. Despite this the KS is still pretty sluggish.

If anyone has experience running a Kickstarter (this is our first) we'd love to hear some suggestions for the last week. Any advice / criticism would be much appreciated.

7. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks a lot, man!!!

8. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    I was just checking your Kickstarter Jason. I hope you guys make it, there is a certainly lot of support already and your game absolutely deserves it - it looks great.

Big thumbs up to you guys too for being able to work as a family on this!

9. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Congratulations!

Jason, congratulations on successfully reaching your kickstarter goals!

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #10 Qwertz555, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I just wanted to back you but it's all over. Totally missed it, pity.
    But you reached your goal and i'm looking forward to buy it next year.

Edit: standing in line for testing

11. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    :DOk so I don't know if the music will actually be in the game as you're traversing the stages but I think it would be very cool if it was. This game looks very well put together and I for one will be looking forward to it. If I can't test it I'll BOLO for it in the beginning of the year.

Great job on reaching your goals as well!!

12. Jason Stark

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Post Kickstarter thought and thanks

$38,694 - 110% funded - 1,404 amazing people to thank

Thanks for all the well-wishes. Even if you didn't back us just hearing the words of support and encouragement really mean a lot.

Looks like queue is forming for beta testing. :) Awesome!

To everyone who's ever run a Kickstarter campaign - major props to you. This stuff is HARD.

To anyone thinking of running a Kickstarter campaign our advice is - prepare well, be honest and go for it! It's an experience like no other. The connections you make with people will last a lifetime.

Also, if you're ever considering doing a 24 hour live-stream and you're a two-person family team - DON'T! I'd recommend breaking it up into a few 2-3 hour stream sessions which allows you to recuperate and prepare for the next. Live-streaming is awesome though, it's a great way to personally connect with supporters. We're strongly considering doing live-streams as a regular part of our development, just not for 24 hours at a time! :)

For everyone interested in beta testing, we're giving alpha access to all of our backers that grabbed a copy of the game. They'll also have access to the backer-only section of our forums and their feedback will be an integral part of Ninja Pizza Girl's ongoing development.

If you'd like to be part of that we have a link to our Paypal shop on the Kickstarter page. Anyone grabbing a copy of Ninja Pizza Girl will get alpha access and we have T-shirts! We should be sending out the first builds in the next week or so.

If you'd prefer to wait, that's okay. We'll be shouting out for beta testers in about 5 months.

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  14. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Wow congrats

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    When you launch its bought
    Thanks for he info and really excited

16. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Awesome to hear about your success. I'm a for sure purchase at launch as well.

17. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    can't wait for this gem.

18. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    woop.. can't wait for this! As it's a PS4/Xbone game.. can we expect MFi controller support too? :D And if it has controller support... will it land on Apple TV as well? :D (as you don't have to support the Siri remote any more! :))

19. Jason Stark

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Good questions! It's exactly this sort of thing that we're looking at right now. Are there a lot of MFi controllers out there? How much value are we adding to the game by supporting it and perhaps the most important question of all - can I use this as an excuse to buy an Apple TV?

20. Jason Stark

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    We have a release date!!!!!!!

Waaaaaaay back in 2012 I held my iPhone 3GS in my hands while playing the newly released game "Mikey Shorts". I was pretty darn impressed with it. That little game proved that you could make a fast, playable platform game on a tiny mobile screen with controls that really worked.

Armed with this knowledge we started production on our next project - a quirky platformer loosely based on the misadventures of our eldest daughter during her pizza delivery days. We called the game "Ninja Pizza Girl".

A lot of stuff happened.

Now, 5 years, 1 Kickstarter, 6 platforms and about a billion conventions later we are finally bringing our game to the platform it was originally intended for.

Ninja Pizza Girl releases on the App Store on the 27th April, 2017.

I really hope you all like it. :)